Politics & Government
Carnival Scheduled for Saturday at Braintree Armory Denied Amusement Permit
The event was supposed to take place April 13 at the National Guard Armory.

Braintree officials denied a license this week to a Florida-based amusement company that had scheduled and already begun selling tickets to an event at the National Guard Armory on Union Street.
The Board of License Commissioners on Tuesday voted 4-1 to not issue a Public Amusement License for Walker International Events because the planned variety show would have created "an unreasonable increase in pedestrian traffic," disruptive conduct due to a lack of parking space and high noise levels.
They also cited the lack of a representative from the company available to answer questions from the board.
Find out what's happening in Braintreefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"The fact that they have no one here to speak to it shows me that they are not prepared to partner with the community," Chair Joe Powers said.
Walker Brothers Circus had planned an event for Saturday, April 13 from 2 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. It was to take place inside the armory and as many as a few hundred people were expected to attend, according to the company's application.
Find out what's happening in Braintreefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
A company manager did not respond to a request for comment. Walker was not aware of the decision Wednesday morning, an employee said, but that was prior to the licence coordinator sending out a notice.
An email and letter went out later Wednesday morning, informing the company of the reasons for the denial and returning a $100 deposit check.
"Specifically, the Board found that Walker International Events, Inc. failed to present a parking plan that was requested and raised in the Planning Department comments and failed to make arrangements with the Police Department concerning the need for any traffic details," the letter said, in part.
Police Chief Russell Jenkins also said that an email between Walker and his deputy showed that the company was unlikely to return in the future because of a prohibition against live animals.
Walker International filed its application March 28 but did not complete the document until last week and the board acted as quickly as it could, Powers said. He added that Walker was strongly advised to send someone to the hearing on Tuesday in case of any hiccups.
"We can’t be guided by when their event is going to occur," Powers said.
The company was still offering tickets for sale on its website for three performances in Braintree on Saturday as of Wednesday evening.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.