Crime & Safety

US Attorneys Seek More Time Before Discovery Period in Bulger Case

Federal prosecutors filed a motion Friday seeking an extension to Aug. 31 before it must supply materials to Bulger's defense.

Citing "thousands of hours of audiotapes and video tapes as well as hundreds of photographs," federal prosecutors have asked for more time to supply material to James "Whitey" Bulger's defense team.

Prosecutors filed a motion Friday with the United States District Court of Massachusetts asking to extend the date for providing discovery to the defense until Aug. 31.

During discovery, both sides of a case must provide each other with materials and evidence they plan to use at trial.

Find out what's happening in Charlestownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Friday's motion said there was a "voluminous" amount of relevant materials to wade through in the Bulger case.

"Much of this material has been boxed and stored for years and had been organized for use in other related cases," the motion states.

Find out what's happening in Charlestownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In addition to documents, audiotapes, videotapes and photographs, the prosecution will be providing "several databases of material" in the discovery proceedings, the motion says.

In requesting an extension, the motion states, "Obviously, the defendant, who has been a fugitive for over sixteen years, bears some responsibility for this predicament."

Bulger is an alleged mob boss who, after living for 16 years as one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives, is on trial in connection to 19 murders and other crimes.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Charlestown