Crime & Safety
Essex Jail Inmates Indicted On Assault Charges From October Melee
The Essex County Sheriff's Office said two correctional officers and two inmates were injured in the brawl that led to a week-long lockdown.
MIDDLETON, MA — Two men were indicted last week for their accused role in a jailhouse melee that injured two correctional officers at the Essex County Jail in October.
Two inmates also sustained what were called "minor injuries" in the fight that led to a week-long lockdown and search of the facility, which uncovered 11 weapons, according to the Essex Sheriff's Office. Four other inmates were previously charged with assault in connection with the fight.
"We will not tolerate attacks on our officers," Essex Sheriff Kevin Coppinger said. "We will prosecute and we will seek justice. This incident demonstrates the danger our officers face each and every day.
Find out what's happening in Danversfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"For me, officer safety is the top priority."
The union for the correctional officers was initially critical of Coppinger's office for what they deemed to be the public downplaying and diminishing of what they called the "extremely violent melee" and the tensions that the union said have steadily risen at the Middleton facility in recent months.
Find out what's happening in Danversfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Coppinger on Monday agreed in a statement that there has "been an increase in inmate aggression at Essex County correctional facilities as the numbers of those waiting to be tried on violent and gang-related crime continues to increase."
The Essex Sheriff's Office said as of Jan. 1 that 40 percent of the county's detainees were being held on "violent charges" — including murder, attempted murder, rape and assault. There are more than 1,100 inmates throughout Essex County facilities on a daily average.
The Essex Sheriff's Office said the two men indicted last week were Jorge Delgado-Medina, 26, of Melrose, who was charged with assault and battery and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and Adrian Corniel De La Cruz, 18, of Lawrence, who was charged with two counts of armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault with a dangerous weapon.
Previously charged in the fight were also Julio Cruz, 24, of Lawrence, who was charged with two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault with a dangerous weapon, Johan Aquino, 22, of Lawrence, who was charged with assault and battery, Luis Perlera, 19, of Lunenberg, who was charged with assault and battery, and Lennox Pierre-Louis, 21, of Roxbury, who was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.
An assault and battery with a dangerous weapon conviction carries a state prison sentence of up to 10 years. An assault and battery with intent to murder conviction carries a prison sentence of up to 20 years.
(Scott Souza is a Patch field editor covering Beverly, Danvers, Marblehead, Peabody, Salem and Swampscott. He can be reached at Scott.Souza@Patch.com. Twitter: @Scott_Souza.)
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.