Crime & Safety
83-Year-Old Hingham Woman Loses $7,500 in Phone Scam
Police are warning residents to be on the lookout for similar calls.

Police in Hingham are reminding residents to watch out for phone scams after one 83-year-old resident lost $7,500.
According to Hingham police, the resident received a call on Sept. 15 from a man claiming to be her grandson. He explained he was sick so his voice may sound strange. He said he went to a party, was arrested on drug charges, needed her to send bail money, and asked her to not tell anyone.
The resident took a cash advance from a credit card and wired $7,500 through her bank to her “grandson”. The next day, she received a call from a man who claimed to be a police officer. He told the woman that they would need an additional $8,000 to release the man who claimed to be her grandson due to a problem with the judge.
Find out what's happening in Hinghamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The resident became suspicious and told family members of the situation. They recognized it as a scam and called police. They attempted to cancel the transaction but it had already been processed. The area code for the number lists to Quebec.
Anyone who receives a similar call is asked to inform the Hingham Police Department
Find out what's happening in Hinghamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.