Schools

Hingham School Enrollment Declines For 2017-18

Over 4,200 students are expected to be in the Hingham schools next month.

HINGHAM, MA — When school starts in a few short weeks, there will likely be fewer students in the hallways than there were in May, according to a projection.

During Monday’s school committee Superintendent Dorothy Galo released the projected enrollment numbers for the 2017-18 school year. She told the committee she expects the Hingham schools to have 4,247 K-12 students, 12 fewer than last year.

“This has been an unusual summer in that there have been some grades where there has been tremendous change and none in others,” she said.

Find out what's happening in Hinghamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The elementary schools are expected to house 1,905 students, a decrease from May’s 1,946. Galo said the decline is smaller than recent years.

Kindergarten is projected to have 292 students, up from 28, with 87 students at South Elementary School. The high number at South Elementary is due to 10 who are repeating kindergarten.

Find out what's happening in Hinghamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“We’ve never, to my knowledge, had 10 students repeating across the district,” she said.

A projected 1,080 students will attend middle school, down from 1,095. The high school is up 44 students at 1,262.

As is typical with projections, they are subject to change due to things such as students moving in and out of town or students leaving for private schools.

The new school year starts Sept. 5.


Image: File Photo

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.