Schools

Hingham Schools Resume After Marathon Bombings

The goal at Hingham Schools will be to continue with normal routines.

As Hingham Schools resume Monday,  elementary school principals said they will not reference the tragic events as a school community.

“A formal recognition would likely raise questions and anxiety for the younger students,” said East School principal Tony Keady.  “The goal will be to continue with normal routines with a focus on student learning.  We will be prepared to deal with individual situations should the need arise.”

Keady said parents should contact teachers if their son or daughter has exhibited anxiety from the events.

Find out what's happening in Hinghamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

At South School, principal Mary Eastwood said staff will be very watchful of any students who may need special attention.

“Since we have such an age span at South, the staff  will, of course,  handle this in a way that is appropriate at each grade level,  Eastwood said. “Therefore, there will be nothing done school wide so as not to frighten the younger children”

Find out what's happening in Hinghamfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Eastwood said her staff is prepared to handle any student who needs help dealing with the tragic events.  Hingham teachers were briefed on how to deal with situations like this, as they did after the incidents at Sandy Hook.

Tell Us: Do you think classrooms should talk to students about last week’s events?

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.