Politics & Government

Policy Changes to Come After Bullying Investigation

A school investigation found no evidence of bullying by a coach for a private league, but could result in tighter restrictions for groups that use school space.

An 8th-grade basketball coach yelled at some of his players and called them names, behavior that may be inappropriate for the age group, but it did not rise to the level of bullying, a School Department inquiry found this week.

At the behest of the School Committee and after meeting with the director of the Milford Youth Basketball Association, Superintendent Bob Tremblay asked Dave Cutler, the schools' safety and security director, to look into allegations raised by three families against a coach in the league. 

After interviewing those involved, it was determined that while age-inappropriate behavior took place, none of the incidents that took place in a school gym met the standard of bullying.

School Committee member William Kingkade Jr. said the policies regarding use of school facilities by outside groups will likely be revisited. Both he and committee member Lori  Baranauskas asked for a review of how such use is determined. 

"I do expect the School Committee to tighten up some of the existing policies regarding the use of space to outside groups by requiring a service of complaints policy, a signed coaches' code of conduct and notification of the newly enacted bullying legislation," he said. "Now, as soon as out-of-school activities pour over into the school day we, the School Department, are responsible without question. And that is a tough role to play."

Kingkade, who brought the allegations to light Nov. 18  after receiving signed letters detailing parental concerns about a coach, said he was comfortable with the investigation's outcome. 

"Parents reached out to me because I represent the folks responsible for the schools and our children, as a member of the School Committee," he said. "They know from the nine years I have served on the committee that if a constituent brings an issue of concern to me I will get them an answer."

Find out what's happening in Milfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Kingkade, who has said he will not seek re-election in the spring, said he expects to see changes in how private organizations handle complaints from parents, particularly if school facilities are involved.

"I think there should be resources for coaches and parents so that if questions or concerns arise there is a specific route for a parent to take," he said. "I did not think that this issue was going to result an a bullying incident; however, like the new bullying legislation, I was concerned about what we are responsible for when events are taking place on school property.  

"This has been tough for all the families involved, from those making the complaints (to) those the complaints were about," Kingkade said.

Robert Tomaso, the basketball association's president, could not be reached for comment on the outcome of the inquiry, but said previously that any discipline or action taken by the league would occur after the School Department had its say. He also said the coach has long been in good standing with the association, and is known for actively pursuing tournaments and other opportunities to help extend his team's season.


Find out what's happening in Milfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.