Politics & Government
New MBTA Plan Eliminates Weekend Commuter Rail Service for West Roxbury
The Sunday 37 and 38 MBTA bus routes through West Roxbury would be eliminated in latest plan.
The Massachusetts Department of Transportation announced an updated budget plan today that would eliminate weekend commuter rail service of the Needham line, which goes through West Roxbury.
The proposed plan also eliminates MBTA bus routes 37 and 38 on Sundays, which go through West Roxbury, and would greatly impact people in West Roxbury.
Find out what's happening in West Roxburyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
MBTA fares will rise 23 percent and four bus routes would be cut to close a $185 million gap in the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority’s budget for fiscal year 2013
Fourteen other bus routes would be modified. Details of the plan are scheduled to be unveiled during a press conference today. If approved, the changes would begin on July 1.
Find out what's happening in West Roxburyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Bus fares would rise to $1.50 from $1.25 and a subway ride would jump to $2 from $1.70. Monthly passes would rise from $59 to $70.
For students and seniors, bus fares will rise to 75 cents and subway rides will jump to $1. Also, the MBTA would start offering a 7-day student pass for $28.
No changes would be made for THE RIDE services, but fares would rise to $ 4or $5 depending on where you live and how far you would travel.
The new plan was announced in a news release posted at 11:30 a.m. on mbta.com. Along with limiting the service cuts originally proposed, the new plan includes an average fare increase of 23 percent, as opposed to the 35-43 percent increase outlined in the original proposal.
“The proposal we put forth today reflects our current fiscal reality and the feedback we heard from customers,” MassDOT Secretary and CEO Richard A. Davey said in the news release. “We have put forth a solution that limits the impact on riders for one year, but I encourage everyone to remain engaged in helping us find a long-term fix for the T’s budget challenges.”
Many other bus routes are being altered, see attached plans to the article, or see the full plan at mbta.com.
Previously, many Boston leaders have , D-West Roxbury.
“This would be the first MBTA fare increase in five years and still keep public transit prices in Boston lower than many major cities including New York, Atlanta, and Chicago,” transit officials said in the news release. “The fare increase is expected to generate $72.9 million next year.”
Full details of all fare and service changes can be found at www.mbta.com (or listed in a PDF at right).
In addition to the cuts and fare increases, the new MBTA budget plan calls for additional one-time revenues which will help cover the budget gap in fiscal year 2013 only. These include: $51 million from the MassDOT Motor Vehicle Inspection Trust Fund; $5 million from the MassDOT snow and ice surplus; and $5 million from the North Station Garage Lease Payment, according to the news release.
MassDOT and MBTA officials also have promised to make several customer service enhancements over the next year, including:
- LED Countdown signs at each curbside Silver Line stop at Logan Airport;
- A Mobile Ticketing Pilot on the Commuter Rail;
- Exploration of off-peak pricing;
- and Consolidated Customer Service Center at Downtown Crossing Station
The final proposal will be submitted for MBTA board approval by April 4, the changes would take effect on July 1. These changes are the result of more than two months of public meetings where 6,000 customers gave feedback on two scenarios proposed by MBTA staff in January.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.
