Health & Fitness
Restrictions Lifted Near 15K-Gallon Sewer Overflow In Worcester
Fishing and swimming restrictions were in place near a section of Lake Quinsigamond after a sewer overflow on Friday morning.
This story has been updated with new information.
WORCESTER, MA — Fishing and swimming restrictions have been lifted near a section of Lake Quinsigamond after a sewer overflow Friday morning.
Testing results collected at Whitla Drive on Monday were below the action level, and all restrictions were lifted on Tuesday.
The restrictions applied to the area where O'Hara Brook drains into Lake Quinsigamond near Whitla Drive and Ideal Road. Some wastewater from the Friday overflow entered the storm sewer system and flowed toward that area.
See Also: E. Coli Warning Issued After 15K-Gallon Sewer Overflow In Worcester
The overflow happened at about 5:20 a.m. Friday near 23 Southwest Cutoff, also known as Route 20, discharging about 15,000 gallons of untreated wastewater from an underground pipe, according to the city. Crews stopped the leak at 7:23 a.m. Friday, and the sewer system was operating normally afterward, the city said.
The city previously said testing would continue daily until levels return to an acceptable range.