Crime & Safety

Man Charged With Receiving Stolen Vehicle In Worcester

This comes as the number of vehicle thefts in the city rose last month, according to police.

WORCESTER, MA — A man in Worcester was charged with receiving a stolen vehicle on Thursday morning.

Worcester police said officers located a vehicle that was known to have been stolen, parked in a lot on the Southwest Cutoff. Officers followed the car and pulled it over on Hamilton Street, when a driver and two passengers exited the vehicle.

The driver was identified as twenty-four-year-old Alexis Cotto, who had a suspended license.

He was charged with receiving a stolen motor vehicle and operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license, and the two passengers were free to leave.

This comes as the number of vehicle thefts in Worcester rose last month, according to police.

A total of 29 vehicles were stolen in Worcester in November, up from 20 stolen cars in October. Police said 45 percent of the vehicles were victims of opportunity-based thefts, such as keys left inside or a car left running.

Related: Vehicle Thefts Were Up In Worcester Last Month, Police Said