Crime & Safety

Competency Exam Ordered For Detroit Police Shooting Suspect

Raymond Durham is charged in the shooting of two Detroit police officers and a suspect in Wayne State University police officer's death.

DETROIT, MI — A competency exam was ordered Friday for Raymond Durham, the 60-year-old Detroit man accused of shooting two police officers last week and a suspect in fatal shooting of a Wayne State University police officer last month. Judge Kenneth King ordered the competency exam during a brief probable cause hearing in 36th District Court after Durham’s attorney said her client “appears to be somewhat delusional.”

Durham faces 10 counts in the March 15 shooting, including two counts of assault with intent to commit murder, and multiple weapons charges. He has not been charged in the killing of WSU Police Sgt. Collin Rose, but is a suspect after Detroit Police Chief James Craig said last week that DNA evidence tied Durham to Rose’s shooting. . Rose died Nov. 23, 2016, a day after he had been shot in the head.

The two Detroit officers shot last week, a 20-year police department veteran and a four-year officer, were investigating Rose’s murder in the area of Ash and Tillman streets when they encountered Durham. He was acting suspiciously, and when the officers approached him, he reached into his pocket for a handgun and shot them, police said.

Find out what's happening in Detroitfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Defense attorney Gabi Silver told the Detroit Free Press that Durham, who is being held without bond on the psychiatric unit of the Wayne County Jail, was “unable to communicate effectively” with her. The competency evaluation will focus on his current mental status and whether he understands the charges against him, the trial process and is unable to rationally assist in his defense.


See Also


Wayne State University Police Sgt. Collin Rose

Find out what's happening in Detroitfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Wayne State University photo of Sgt. Collin Rose
Durham’s younger brother, Emory Durham, previously told The Detroit News that he “slowly started deteriorating” after sustaining a serious work-related injury in 1976 that left him unable to work full-time.

“My brother really wasn’t right ever since then,” Emory Durham said.

Ballistics tests on the .38-caliber handgun seized from Durham after a two-hour manhunt have not been completed, according to the Free Press report.

Durham’s competency hearing is scheduled for 11 a.m. June 16 in King’s courtroom.

Raymond Durham photo via Detroit Police Department

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.