Crime & Safety

Detroit Teen Charged After Shooting Dad, Stealing Car: Prosecutor

Prosecutors said the father suffered a non-fatal gunshot wound to the back.

DETROIT — A 13-year-old boy is facing charges after he shot his dad and stole his car last week in Detroit, according to prosecutors.

The incident happened on Aug. 11 around 6:42 p.m. at a home in the 18000 block of Bretton Street in Detroit, according to prosecutors.

When officers arrived, they found the 42-year-old man bleeding on the porch and suffering from a gunshot wound to the back, according to prosecutors.

Find out what's happening in Detroitfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The man was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, according to prosecutors.

Prosecutors said the 13-year-old boy shot his father and then sped away in his dad's car with the family dog.

Find out what's happening in Detroitfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Officers tracked the vehicle to Troy, Ohio, where they arrested the boy a few hours later, according to prosecutors.

The boy was charged with one count of assault with intent to murder, one count of discharge of a firearm in or at a building, one count of unlawfully driving away an automobile and three counts of felony firearm.

The teen was also charged as "adult designated," meaning a judge will have the choice of sentencing him as a teen or adult, if he's convicted.

He faces up to life in prison if convicted of assault with intent to murder.

"We struggled with this decision, and it will ultimately be the decisions of a judge as to whether, if convicted, there will be a juvenile or blended sentence," she said in a release. "We have carefully considered the alleged horrific facts and evidence in this case, and we are convinced that this is the best course of action, as well as being in the best interest of justice."

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.