Politics & Government
HUD Nixes Another Round Of Sandy Recovery Funding For New Jersey Municipalities
Bad news for towns that used the funds in previous years to help balance budgets and provide essential services.

The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development won't be writing any more checks to Sandy-battered towns in New Jersey waiting for money to help balance their budgets, according to app.com.
HUD turned down the state Department of Community Affair's request to move $14.5 million in Sandy recovery funds to the Essential Services Grant program to help pay for municipal services .
"Last month, HUD informed us that it did not approve our request to transfer additional Sandy recovery funds to the (Essential Services Grants) Program," DCA spokesperson Lisa Ryan said. "Without HUD’s approval, we cannot provide a 2016 (Essential Services Grants) funding round. Therefore, no local governments will receive (Essential Services Grants) this year," she said.
Find out what's happening in Berkeleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The Essential Services Grants program was only supposed to last three years since the Oct. 29 2012 monster storm, but the DCA asked for a fourth round of funding to help towns that were hardest hit, Ryan said.
Recovery has taken much long for many of the towns than anticipated.
Find out what's happening in Berkeleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
To read the entire story, click here.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.