Schools
Clark School Officials Warn Of 'Momo Challenge' In Kid's Videos
Clark School officials are asking parents to be mindful after reports of the 'Momo challenge' have resurfaced.

CLARK, NJ — Clark School Superintendent Edward Grande sent an email warning parents about the "Momo Challenge," a peculiar and disturbing internet "game" that allegedly targets children.
Authorities say it is possible that some YouTube and YouTube Kids channels have been hacked recently and could be unintentionally hosting the dangerous content. YouTube has denied such hacking occurred, and said it has found no evidence of this "Momo" in videos hosted on the platform.
"We want to make certain that you are aware of this challenge, provide you with relevant information, and remind you of the importance of monitoring your children’s use of the internet and social media," Grande stated.
Find out what's happening in Clark-Garwoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
According to Grande, the "Momo Challenge," is a game found on Facebook and the app WhatsApp, that features a frightening avatar who asks viewers to perform various tasks and then provide photos as proof. The "Momo" threatens those who do not perform the tasks, which can escalate to serious violent acts, including self harm and suicide.
"Social media risks will continue to be addressed by our school counselors, child study team members, and administrative team members. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s principal and/or school counselor," Grande stated.
Find out what's happening in Clark-Garwoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The unsettling internet game made headlines last fall after parents in one New Jersey community reported their children had been participating. Since then, reports that it has surfaced through other applications have prompted widespread warnings from various school districts in the region.
The origin of the Momo challenge is unclear, and some experts insist it is a viral hoax rather than a true threat. The Atlantic, in a piece published Thursday titled "Momo Is Not Trying to Kill Children," reports there is "zero corroborated reports of any child ever taking his or her own life after participating in this phony challenge."
According to a report by CBS, a California mom said her child was targeted, which created a "nearly catastrophic situation" at their home.
But YouTube denies the existence of the challenge on its platform. "Despite press reports of this challenge surfacing, we haven’t had any recent links flagged or shared with us from YouTube that violate our Community Guidelines," the YouTube statement said.
To learn more, visit this link: What Is The Momo Challenge? 5 Things To Know About Dangerous Game
A Denver Channel published this report on the Momo Challenge in October. Some of the images and details may be disturbing:
Have a news tip? Email alexis.tarrazi@patch.com.
Get Patch breaking news alerts sent right to your phone with our new app. Download here.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.