Schools

East Brunswick Athletes Quarantine After Presumed Positive Case

The school district said it plans to go ahead with combining its secondary school hybrid teams come Nov. 17.

EAST BRUNSWICK, NJ — After returning from a week-long break, East Brunswick School District on Monday reported eight COVID positive cases, and one presumed positive case leading to 22 student-athletes quarantining.

School Superintendent Victor Valeski told the school community that two high school students self-reported, but neither have any “close contacts” due to the break last week.

One high school varsity athlete with a “presumed positive" case of COVID resulted in 22 team members quarantining as close contacts. The students were exposed to the "presumed positive" case during practice, said Valeski. Additionally, six individuals from high school self-reported being in close contact with someone who tested positive for COVID. But all those cases occurred outside school, said Valeski.

Find out what's happening in East Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The district did not release details on which varsity team was asked to quarantine. It's not clear if the six individuals from the high school were students or staff members.

“We have two additional self-reported student-positive COVID cases at Bowne-Munro Elementary School. These students have been remote so there are no close contacts with these two exposures,” he said.

Find out what's happening in East Brunswickfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Despite the cases, the district is going ahead with combining its secondary school hybrid teams come Nov. 17. But that is subject to change.

“Even though we are moving forward with the safe consolidation of our secondary schools’ hybrid teams, student and staff health and safety are my highest priorities...they are evaluated every day...throughout each day,” said Valeski.

“As I monitor positive COVID transmissions outside of EBPS, I may need to make school operational adjustments, with very short notice, for the protection of all of our schools’ and facilities’ populations,” he said.

Thank you for reading. Have a correction or news tip? Email sarah.salvadore@patch.com

Get breaking news alerts on your phone with our app. Download here. Sign up to get Patch emails so you don't miss out on local and statewide news.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.