Schools
Teachers 'Shocked' by Negotiations Impasse
First round of proposals stalled by board-imposed mediation; current contract ends June 30.

The negotiations table is getting a little crowded in the West Morris Regional High School district, and the Teacher’s Association isn’t pleased.
West Morris Central teacher and Teacher’s Association president Joyce Hartmann, along with lead negotiator Mike Goffredo, expressed their displeasure with the impasse imposed by the school board’s negotiation committee at the most recent board meeting.
The impasse, which essentially means the board wants mediation involved in the negotiations process, came at just the third meeting – far too early in the process, according to Hartmann.
Find out what's happening in Long Valleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“The first meeting was cordial, and the second meeting the Association discussed its proposal,” Hartmann said. “But at the third meeting, we were told in the first five minutes the board was going to impasse.
“We want the public to know we’re shocked,” Hartmann said during the open session of the board meeting.
Find out what's happening in Long Valleyfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
On top of that, Hartmann said, the board’s attorney showed no intention of scheduling the next meeting.
The board’s negotiation committee, which includes Don Storms, James Johnston and Joe Galayda, was noticeably surprised by the Association’s decision to speak about the impasse in public.
“I’m really not too happy about Mrs. Hartmann’s comments,” Galayda said to the board. “But she decided to open her mouth and put this out there.”
At that point, Galayda addressed Goffredo, and said the Association’s proposal was full of unrealistic expectations.
“We have to live under a [2-percent] cap,” Galayda said. “And we can’t do that and fulfill your unrealistic expectations.”
Details of the proposal have not been divulged.
Johnston chimed in and said the only time mediation is necessary is when both sides are so far from meeting, a compromise can’t be made, and that’s why the board opted to move forward with the impasse.
First is Not Last
Goffredo, who went back and forth with Galayda in a verbal exchange, said speaking in public about the issue was the only way he could communicate effectively with the board.
“We’re not going to get rich with this proposal, but it doesn’t appear to be an opportune time to go to impasse. Our first number would not be our last position,” Goffredo said. “I represent 250 people – I’m trying to communicate with you. We didn’t even get to a point where either side knew what was going on.”
Galayda told Goffredo it was wrong of him for bringing the issue up in to the public.
This is the first contract negotiation both sides have gone through since settling a two-year drought in 2011. That contract fulfilled the two previous years without a contract, in addition to the next two years.
June 30, 2013 marks the end of the current contract.
While it’s been nearly two years since the last contract was settled, the process still weighs heavily on some.
“The last contract problem was very upsetting to many people,” said Washington Township resident Leslie Mule to the board. “It made the schools a very uncomfortable place to be.”
After the board’s executive session, the negotiation committee verbally stated it would continue to work with the Teacher’s Association and give information to its attorney to make the next move, according to Board Secretary Doug Pechanec.
“We’re the ones with the kids, writing the curriculum, doing this day in and day out,” said Hartmann. “But right now we’re not talking. We don’t have a meeting. We have nothing.”
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.