Politics & Government
Costs Down for Manasquan Court, Police Dept.
Operating costs down, three new vehicles requested

Representatives of both the Manasquan municipal court and police department presented 2012 budgets totalling less than their counterparts of last year, at Saturday's budget meeting in town.
Judge Paul Capotorto and Court Administrator Marie Higgins presented a court budget that is approximately $5,600 under the 2011 budget, to Manasquan Mayor George Dempsey and council.
While the budget is down, an countywide-ongoing matter of courtroom security was discussed, as it may impact the budget in the future. The office of Monmouth County Assignment Judge Lawrence Lawson has advised additional security measures for borough courtrooms, with possible measures including adding security outside courtroom doors, an additional bailiff, and/or more wands to screen for weapons and contraband. It was discussed that such measures may be required at some point.
Find out what's happening in Manasquan-Belmarfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
It was also discussed that court revenues were down last year, such as from tickets for offenses that typically occur at summer rental homes in town. When asked about this by Councilwoman Patricia Connolly, Capotarto noted that maybe the weekend of Hurricane Irene impacted the decrease, though he could not say for sure.
Connolly noted that the information should be "easy to track."
Find out what's happening in Manasquan-Belmarfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Councilman Mike Mangan praised Capotorto and Higgins for a "phenomenal budget."
Following the court presentation, Police Chief Pro Tem Elliott Correia presented this year's department budgetary needs along with Borough Administrator Joe DeIorio.
This budget is also down from last year's by $4,670, with the possibility of increasing pending any future officer hirings. Following several retirements, including that of former Chief Dan Scimeca's, effective last Dec. 31, salary and wage needs are currently down $84,000, said Correia.
However, Correia recommends an additional officer, to bring the force up to a desired level of 17 officers. This would of course add a salary to the payroll, but decrease overtime costs, as about one-third of overtime shifts would be elimimated with a hiring, he said.
Correia also noted that three new vehicles are in need for the department.
While the necessary vehicles will actually cost around $92,000,the net cost of the three vehicles to taxpayers would be $49,026. Beach utility funds and a check of approximately $12,000, from the insurer of a former police vehicle that was totalled, would defray the remainder of the cost.
Police revenues are also down, which Correia attributed to a "year where the (summer) crowd was pretty well-behaved."
Correia thanked DeIorio for helping him plan the budget in his position as chief pro tem, calling the process a learning experience.
As the ongoing budget meetings are proposals from each department, no action was taken.
The next meeting is set for Saturday, Feb. 18 at 9 a.m. in Borough Hall.