Crime & Safety

Leonardo House Fire Was Arson, Middletown PD Says

Breaking: Middletown police arrested a 20-year-old Leonardo man and charged him with setting the fire, as well as two juvenile teen boys.

MIDDLETOWN, NJ — Thursday night's fire at a home under construction in Leonardo was deliberately set, Middletown police said Monday afternoon. That's the home on fire above, at the intersection of Thompson and Hamilton Avenue.

Middletown police arrested a 20-year-old Leonardo man and charged him with setting the fire, as well as two juvenile teen boys who police said helped.

Matthew Franco, 20, of Leonardo was arrested this past Saturday, Nov. 11 and charged with aggravated arson, criminal mischief, conspiracy to commit aggravated arson, criminal trespass and employing a juvenile in the commission of a crime. Additionally, on Monday, Nov. 13, the two juveniles were also taken into custody and charged.

Find out what's happening in Middletownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

As Patch previously reported, the Middletown Township Fire Department got the call at 11:49 p.m. on Thursday, November 9 that the building site was on fire. The home was under construction and still just frames. Firefighters arrived to find the home completely engulfed in flames, with no chance of making entry inside. The house was completely destroyed by the fire.

Middletown police say they were able to quickly develop information that the fire may have been intentionally set.

Find out what's happening in Middletownfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Photos credited to Laurie Kegley, of the Middletown Township Fire Dept.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.