Schools

Cell Phone Ban Options Weighed By Princeton Schools

District leaders said they are gathering staff, student and community input as Princeton reviews phone limits.

PRINCETON, NJ — Princeton school officials are reviewing how to implement a cell phone ban in schools.

Superintendent Michael LaSusa provided an update on the ban during the Board of Education meeting on Tuesday.

LaSusa said district staff had already started meeting about options.

Find out what's happening in Princetonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The district is also getting together a large group of students "to talk about the options, and what they've been exploring most recently is a software package that students can download to their phone."

LaSusa described one option now under review.

Find out what's happening in Princetonfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

He said students "would scan in when they come into school in the morning, or they would scan in at every class period."

He said the software "enables a student to keep their cell phone on them, be able to make emergency calls if necessary, but only utilize apps that the school approves ahead of time."

Otherwise, every other type of app, including texting, would be disabled.

"They're exploring that to determine if it's appropriate," said LaSusa.

LaSusa said there is "a strong interest among the high school staff" in that approach rather than the middle school model, which he described as, "you can't have your phone out at any time."

He said staff members were evaluating which approach would be "more manageable and reasonable to actually implement."

On timing, LaSusa believes the district would be able to have communication by Aug. 1st, at the latest.

Board President Dafna Kendal expressed that she was "glad that kids are involved and are going to be part of the solution. It's great."

Have a news tip? Email alexis.tarrazi@patch.com.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.