Crime & Safety
Bloods Gang Leader Gets 37 Years For McDonald's Drive-Thru Murder
The brutal murder-for-hire plot was set in motion to allow a Larchmont man to seize his family's real estate empire.

LARCHMONT/MAMARONECK, NY — A Bloods gang shot-caller will go to federal prison for decades for his part in a murder-for-hire plot conceived to allow a Larchmont man seize control of a family real estate empire.
On Thursday, Breon Peace, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, and Michael J. Driscoll, Assistant Director-in-Charge, FBI NY Field Office, announced that U.S. District Judge Hector Gonzalez sentenced 39-year-old Bushawn "Shez" Shelton, of Brooklyn, to 37 years in prison for his leadership role in the October 4, 2018 killing of 71-year-old Sylvester Zottola and the July 11, 2018 attempted murder of Salvatore Zottola. The defendant pleaded guilty to murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy on August 22, 2022.
Co-defendants Anthony Zottola, of Larchmont, and Himen "A Boggie" Ross were sentenced to life imprisonment in April, following their convictions at trial. Co-defendants Herman "Taliban" Blanco, Arthur "Scary" Codner, Jason "The Hat" Cummings, and Branden Peterson previously pleaded guilty and were sentenced to terms of imprisonment ranging from 16 to 22 years.
Find out what's happening in Larchmont-Mamaroneckfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
SEE ALSO:
- Son Gets Life, Plus In Dad's McDonald's Drive-Thru Assassination
- Son Plotted To Have Dad Killed At Drive-Through: Feds
- Guilty: Murder For Hire At The McDonald's Drive-Thru
"For more than a year, the defendant led the charge in stalking, beating, stabbing, and eventually shooting an elderly man purely for money," Peace said. "The lengthy sentence meted out brings an end to the brutality of this violent group. The community is safer as a result."
Find out what's happening in Larchmont-Mamaroneckfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Sylvester Zottola controlled a residential real estate portfolio consisting of multi-family rental properties that was valued at tens of millions of dollars at the time of his death. Anthony Zottola, of Larchmont, helped manage his father's real estate business by maintaining the properties, collecting rent and helping to run A&S Maintenance, a company that was jointly owned by Anthony and his brother Salvatore Zottola.
Anthony Zottola hired co-conspirator Bushawn "Shelz" Shelton to kill his father and his brother, Salvatore. Shelton recruited others to commit the murders, and together they engaged in a year-long conspiracy to carry out a series of violent attacks against Sylvester and Salvatore Zottola. Salvatore, who testified at trial, endured several violent attacks on his life. On Nov. 26, 2017, Sylvester Zottola was menaced at gunpoint by a masked individual. On Dec. 27, 2017, three men invaded Sylvester Zottola’s residence, struck him on the head with a gun, stabbed him multiple times, and slashed his throat. Zottola survived the attack. Then on July 11, 2018, a gunman shot Salvatore Zottola in the head, chest, and hand in front of his residence. Zottola survived the shooting.
A tracking device was placed on Sylvester Zottola’s car, allowing Ross to track him to the McDonald’s restaurant on Webster Avenue where Ross fatally shot the victim multiple times. Ross and Shelton exchanged texts immediately after the hit, and then Shelton and Anthony Zottola exchanged texts, in which Anthony was informed that his father had just been murdered.
Shelton texted Anthony Zottola: “Can we party today or tomorrow?”
Anthony Zottola assured Shelton that he would soon have Shelton’s payment for the hit.
"I have the cases of water in a day or so," he said.
A photograph later recovered from one of Shelton’s cellular telephones depicts a cardboard box of bottled water, as well as over $200,000 in banded currency.
The case is being handled by the Office’s Organized Crime and Gangs Section. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kayla C. Bensing, Emily J. Dean, Devon Lash, and Andrew M. Roddin are in charge of the prosecution, with the assistance of paralegal specialist Brittany Wissel. Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Morris assisted with forfeiture matters.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.