Health & Fitness

Coronavirus In Rockland: 3rd Death, Cases Up to 230

The cases are rising dramatically each day — there were 80 confirmed cases​ Thursday afternoon — and the trend is expected to continue.

NEW CITY, NY — A third person has died in Rockland County. Also, as of Friday evening, there were 230 cases of new coronavirus, Rockland County Executive Ed Day and County Health Commissioner Dr. Patricia Schnabel Ruppert said.

The third death was a 85-year-old who had other significant health problems, officials said.

The cases are rising dramatically each day — there were 80 confirmed cases Thursday afternoon — and the trend is expected to continue.

Find out what's happening in New Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“As the case numbers continue to rise as testing continues to increase, it is now clear that COVID-19 is widespread within our community. I implore you to stay home to curb the spread of the disease. Your choices now and throughout this outbreak will make the difference between life and death for members of our community,” said Dr. Ruppert.

New York state had a total of 7,102 cases as of Friday morning.

Find out what's happening in New Cityfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The virus officially known as COVID-19 has spread quickly throughout Rockland County, and drastic actions must be taken, she said. All residents must stay home, including children and teens not in school, unless you must get food, medical supplies, or are an essential employee that must work outside the home. Try to use delivery services when possible. Stay away from other people as much as possible, following the recommendation of 6 feet (2 meters). It is important that everyone stay home, healthy, or sick. Please consider any public site in Rockland as a potential site for COVID-19 exposure.

Effective Monday, any gathering or event with 50 or more participants at any location in New York was directed to be postponed or canceled. Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced further measures Friday, that non-essential gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason are prohibited.

The Rockland County Department of Health needs your help to enforce this Order. If you see a gathering of any size, please report it. Call 845-364-2585.

“We need your help to ensure the health and safety of all of our residents; no one should be gathering together right now. Please report any gatherings, so inspectors from our Health Department can take action to shut them down for the safety of everyone involved,” said Day. “We understand that you want to celebrate the wedding you had been planning or your family member’s birthday but right now we all need to do the right thing and stay home; this is a matter of life and death.”

Locations, including private residences, hosting gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason can be issued a violation for creating a Public Health Nuisance and can be shut down and fined $2,000 per day per violation under the Rockland County Sanitary Code.

Also today, Cuomo announced that New York state would be going under a stay-at-home policy called ‘PAUSE,’ which stands for Policies that Assure Uniform Safety for Everyone.

Restrictions on the entire population of New York include the cancellation of all non-essential gatherings of individuals of any size for any reason. Additionally, all nonessential businesses will have 100 percent of their workforce stay home. Essential businesses are described here.

PAUSE also states that vulnerable populations are residents 70 and older, and those who have compromised immune systems. Provisions for the vulnerable populations, include remaining indoors but allows for solitary outdoor exercise. All visitors must be pre-screened by taking their temperature, and the vulnerable population cannot visit households with multiple people.

Vulnerable persons should wear a mask in the company of others, and everyone in the presence of vulnerable people should wear a mask, according to the state guidelines. Finally, all vulnerable individuals must stay at least 6 feet from individuals and should not take public transit unless it’s urgent or necessary. Individuals under the age of 70 should also limit outdoor recreational activities to non-contact as well as limiting their use of public transportation unless absolutely necessary.

If you become mildly ill, stay home, officials said. For residents who have symptoms indicative of COVID-19, contact your medical provider to discuss your symptoms. The health department is advising people with mild illness to stay home and not get tested. Do not dial 9-1-1 unless you have an immediate medical emergency.

Continue to practice good hygiene, including washing your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, cover your cough and sneeze with your elbow or a tissue, and do not touch eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands, officials said.

If you have any concerns about COVID-19, call the New York State Department of Health’s new coronavirus 24-hour hotline at 1-888-364-3065 to speak with a NYSDOH expert who will answer questions. You may also call 211 for local COVID-19 information and resources, or visit the county’s coronavirus webpage.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.