SOUTH NYACK, NY — Wendy Jean of South Nyack was acquitted of murder in the shooting death of Nyack resident Gregory Debuisson in 2020, but he still faces prison time.
He was convicted of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon in a non-jury trial before County Court Judge Kevin Russo, who agreed with the defense that Jean had acted in self-defense.
"We are disappointed to report Judge Russo found that the defendant’s shooting of the unarmed victim was justified as self-defense, but the Court has spoken," District Attorney Thomas E. Walsh II told Patch. "The Rockland County District Attorney’s office will seek the maximum sentence allowable by law for the criminal possession of a weapon conviction. This office feels that there should be some justice for the unarmed victim shot in the Village of Nyack with an illegally possessed firearm."
Find out what's happening in Nyack-Piermontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Police found Debuisson, who had a criminal record, lying on the ground at Main and South Franklin streets at 7 p.m. The 35-year-0ld had been shot. He was pronounced dead at Montefiore Nyack Hospital.
Attorney David Narain told The Journal News that a video showed Jean being followed and threatened by Dubuisson and two others.
Find out what's happening in Nyack-Piermontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
When Jean, then 26, was taken into custody, police also recovered a .357 revolver alleged to be the weapon.
Jean has been imprisoned, in the Rockland County jail in New City, since his arrest and arraignment the next day.
Second-degree criminal weapon possession is a felony., with a minimum sentence of three and a half years and a maximum possible sentence of 15 years in prison.
Sentencing is scheduled for June 21, according to lohud.com.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.