Politics & Government

Rockland Leaders Like Cuomo's Toll Freeze Plan

Keeping the bridge toll low is essential to the county's economic health, they say

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo’s 2016 agenda includes a plan to keep New York State Thruway tolls flat until at least 2020 and cutting tolls in half for those who rely on the Thruway the most, a prospect that pleases Rockland officials.

The threat of huge toll increases to pay for the new bridge across the Hudson River have long worried Rockland residents and officials. In 2012 a cash toll of $14 was being discussed.

“Freezing the Tappan Zee Bridge cash toll at $5 until 2020 is critical to Rockland County’s long-term vitality,” said Rockland County Executive Ed Day. “ As I have said repeatedly since 2012, any increase in the already-high crossing fees would negatively impact our residents, businesses and future economic growth in the region. Knowing that the Lower Hudson Valley has historically been shortchanged with state transportation funds, I applaud Governor Cuomo for realizing the necessity to keep the toll affordable on the new Tappan Zee Bridge.”

Find out what's happening in Nyack-Piermontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

In November, the New York State Thruway Authority announced there would be no toll increases on the Tappan Zee Bridge in 2016.

Toll price control is a crucial step toward safeguarding the economy of the Lower Hudson Valley, said state Senator David Carlucci.

Find out what's happening in Nyack-Piermontfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

“Keeping tolls affordable for Rockland and Westchester residents has been a major priority of mine since joining the Senate,” Carlucci said. “We must continue to work on long term solutions for keeping tolls down and I look forward to working with the Governor on those plans. Today’s announcement is welcome news to the residents of Rockland and Westchester.”

Gov. Cuomo’s Thruway Toll Reduction Plan

First, the Governor is proposing cutting tolls in half for the New York residents and businesses who utilize the Thruway most often. The toll reduction would benefit nearly one million passenger, business and farm vehicles.

The tax credit would apply to:Passenger vehicle owners using E-ZPass and paying $50 or more in annual tolls.

  • 911,743 drivers would benefit under this category, with average annual savings of $97

Businesses and commercial vehicle owners using E-ZPass and paying between $100 and $9,999 in annual tolls.

  • 26,139 businesses would benefit under this category, with average annual savings of approximately $686.
  • 976 commercial trucks would benefit under this category, with average annual savings of $1,872.

Second, vehicles owned by farmers using E-ZPass and used to bring farm goods to market would have tolls eliminated completely through a 100 percent credit. Cuomo is committed to helping further the growth of New York’s agricultural sector – made up of more than 36,000 farms, 2,270 processors, and 700 farm-based beverage producers – by reducing their overall business costs. The Governor’s proposal would ensure they pay no tolls on the Thruway, saving the agricultural sector $5 million annually.

Third, the state is investing $700 million in Thruway infrastructure, on top of last year’s commitment of $1.285 billion. As a result of this investment the Thruway will be able to freeze tolls for all drivers until at least 2020.

PHOTO: New NY Bridge webcam Jan. 6, 2016

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.