Crime & Safety
Port Chester Issued a Restraining Order Over Firefighter Cuts
The agreement between the two villages was to provide career, or paid, overnight firefighter coverage for Rye Brook's firehouse.
.jpg)
PORT CHESTER, NY - The legal tussle between the Village of Port Chester and the Village of Rye Brook over the elimination of paid firefighters took a turn Thursday when the state Supreme count issued a temporary restraining order.
In an emailed statement, Rye Brook Mayor Paul S. Rosenberg said the restraining order requires Port Chester to restore staffing of the Rye Brook firehouse with a paid firefighter beginning Friday evening, May 13.
The court will consider on May 20 Rye Brook’s application for a preliminary injunction.
Find out what's happening in Port Chesterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Get real time Port Chester Patch news alerts and our free daily newsletter; and visit us on Facebook.
Rosenberg said his village has received a request for Port Chester Mayor Dennis Pilla to meet.
Find out what's happening in Port Chesterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“Based on the issuance of the TRO, we intend to honor that request,” Rosenberg said.
Rosenberg offered his thanks to the Rye Brook firefighters and Port Chester volunteers for their hard work during this difficult situation and “we look forward to sitting down with Port Chester to work collaboratively on this issue.
Pilla previously said a lawsuit was premature and that it would only serve to cost both communities more money.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.