This post was contributed by a community member. The views expressed here are the author's own.

Crime & Safety

Prosecutor Concedes "An Issue of Identification" in Case Against Alleged Robber

Here's a look at what happened during Port Chester Court's Sept. 9 session. Court is in session every Monday, Thursday and Friday.

A Port Chester man who says he was the victim of mistaken identity when he was accused of robbing a local bar at gunpoint was back in court Thursday.

La Dolce Vita on North Main Street was robbed June 21 by an armed man who entered the bar around 9:30 p.m., ordered a drink and then calmly demanded cash. Police took a statement from the bar's owner and found 28-year-old Hector Marrero at a nearby convenience store. Marrero fit the description of the robber, and was identified on the spot by the owner of the bar. The father of four posted $5,000 bail the day after his arrest.

But Marrero did't have a gun or a bag filled with cash on him, and he was wearing a white t-shirt and prescription glasses. The robber had been described as wearing a black t-shirt and sunglasses.

Find out what's happening in Port Chesterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Marrero's attorney has asserted that the Willett Avenue resident is a victim of mistaken identity, and on Thursday he accused the DA's office of dragging out the case to have more time to gather evidence.

"We have been consistently asking for a hearing since July 1," the attorney said.

Find out what's happening in Port Chesterfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Assistant District Attorney Grant O'Donnell conceded that "there is an issue of identification," but wouldn't say anything else about the case.

Marrero also requested that his glasses, which are being held as evidence in the case, be returned to him. His attorney explained that the suspect works for a valet parking company and can't work without the glasses. On Thursday he was wearing a pair borrowed from a friend that were the wrong prescription.

Judge Joseph Vita told O'Donnell that his office can take a picture of the glasses and then return them.

The case will resume Sept. 16.

Port Chester Man Accused of Seven Burglaries, Case Will Go to County

A young Port Chester man originally accused of two residential burglaries now faces charges in seven separate incidents, and his case on Thursday was moved to county court.

Byron Chavarria, 20, was arrested Aug. 30 after the neighbors of a burglarly victim on Willett Avenue spotted him leaving the building and identified him to police. Investigators searched Chavarria's apartment and found stolen items from seven separate burglaries dating back to July 16.

The suspect allegedly stole jewelry, computers, iPods and women's underwear from the homes, among other items.

The scope of the case puts it outside of the village's jurisdiction, so Chavarria will now be tried in county court.

He's also the subject of an Immigration and Customs Enforcement 'detainer', meaning there's an issue with his immigration status and he'll be remanded to federal custody when the burglary case is over.

Man Suspected of Robbing Employee with Stick Back in Court

A Port Chester man accused of getting medieval – nay, neolithic – on a former employee who owed him a debt made a brief appearance in court Thursday.

Byron Andreno, 49, is charged with felony robbery after allegedly flagging down a car driven by his employee and attacking the man with a sharp stick and a pocket knife.

Police said the 54-year-old victim took the stick away, but Andreno cut the man's wallet out of his pocket with a knife.

The Assistant District Attorney on Thursday said Andreno is the subject of an immigration 'detainer', meaning he'll end up in immigration court when the burglary case is done.

Judge Vita scheduled a felony hearing in the case for next week.

Alleged Security Room Vandals Facing Nine Months in Jail

Two local men accused of stealing surveillance equipment from their respective apartment buildings were offered a plea deal on Thursday that includes a nine-month jail sentence.

Jeffrey Stamps, 22, of 45 Traverse Avenue and John Jones, 28, of 70 Purdy Avenue are accused of together breaking into the security rooms at their respective residences on July 8 and stealing video monitors and computer equipment. The equipment left behind at the Traverse Avenue building was soaked in gasoline.

Police are continuing an investigation to find out what the men were trying to hide when they targeted the surveillance systems. Both men are charged with third-degree burglary, a felony.

Two weeks ago Assistant District Attorney Grant O'Donnell said that Jones confessed to the crime, and the DA's office is in possession of security tapes from both buildings. Jones is currently on probation for a 2008 petty larceny conviction.

The DA's office on Thursday offered a deal to the suspects: plead guilty to a misdemeanor and serve nine months in jail. The felony charges carry a sentence of up to two and a half years.

The case was adjourned to Sept. 27 so the suspects can consider the deal and the DA can determine the amount of money the men will owe the buildings' owners if convicted.

The views expressed in this post are the author's own. Want to post on Patch?