Crime & Safety
ICE Detention Secured For 4X Felony DWI Offender: DA
"He is a repeat felony drunk driver who does not belong behind the wheel."

RIVERHEAD, NY — Less than two weeks after his fourth conviction for driving while intoxicated, a Salvadoran national was pulled over again after driving without a license and was detained by ICE, Suffolk County District Attorney Ray Tierney said.
Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez, 36, was detained by immigration enforcement agents after being arrested and charged with second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, an unclassified misdemeanor, Tierney said.
Following his jury trial conviction, he was released by the court pending sentencing, despite the DA's request for remand, and explicitly barred from driving, Tierney said.
Find out what's happening in Riverheadfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Aguilar-Alvarez was deported in 2024 following his third DWI conviction and is currently in the United States illegally, Tierney said.
Aguilar-Alvarez was found guilty on August 7 of driving recklessly in Southhampton with a blood alcohol content of more than twice the legal limit, Tierney said.
Find out what's happening in Riverheadfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The conviction marked the defendant’s fourth felony DWI conviction within the past 10 years, in addition to a prior misdemeanor DWI conviction, Tierney said.
Following the conviction, the District Attorney’s Office requested that the court hold Aguilar-Alvarez until sentencing due to his history of disobeying the law and because the office had reason to believe he would flee the country, the DA said.
Despite the request, the court ordered Aguilar-Alvarez to be releasing pending sentencing, scheduled for October 2, Tierney said.
Aguilar-Alvarez, whose license had been revoked, was barred from driving while awaiting sentencing, the DA said.
On Monday, detective investigators from the Suffolk District Attorney’s office initiated a traffic stop of Aguilar-Alvarez's vehicle in the vicinity of Main Street in Riverhead, Tierney said.
He was found to be driving without a valid license and taken in for processing; a summons was issued for second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, Tierney said.
After consultation with the District Attorney’s Office, federal immigration authorities detained Aguilar-Alvarez as he was leaving the office following the processing of his most recent arrest, Tierney said.
The District Attorney’s Office will file a writ to bring Aguilar-Alvarez back to Suffolk County for sentencing on his felony conviction and for the summons, the DA said.
"It is self-evident that given his history of multiple felony convictions, Pablo Aguilar-Alvarez is a clear and present danger to any Suffolk County citizen traveling on our roads," Tierney said. "He is a repeat felony drunk driver who does not belong behind the wheel. Less than two weeks after his fourth felony DWI conviction, and despite explicit instructions not to drive, the defendant once again got behind the wheel of a vehicle."
The DA added: "I want to thank my detective investigators for apprehending the defendant. I extend my gratitude to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement for their swift action in taking this individual into custody and working with my office to help protect Suffolk County residents."
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.