Crime & Safety

Man Drove Hazardously On Robert Moses Bridge To Operate Drone: PD

The 47-year-old was seen driving at 15 mph and eventually stopping on the bridge to operate the drone, police say.

WEST ISLIP, NY - An officer issued two summonses for vehicle and traffic law violations to a North Babylon man apparently filming his car with a drone on the Robert Moses Causeway Bridge, causing hazardous driving conditions on Tuesday afternoon, according to Suffolk Police.

Officer Edmund McDowell was on patrol southbound on the Robert Moses Double Span Bridge when he saw a 2017 Chevrolet Corvette, being driven by 47-year-old Antonio Ariza, ahead on the highway driving less than 15 miles per hour at about 1:15 p.m, police said..

He then saw the car come to a full stop in the right lane to discharge a passenger, police said.

Find out what's happening in West Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The passenger then ran into the roadway to retrieve a drone that had been operating overhead, police said.

McDowell activated his emergency lights and approached the vehicle.

Find out what's happening in West Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

He instructed Ariza to move his car to a safe location off of the bridge roadway.

Once safely off the bridge, Ariza was issued a summons for impeding traffic and for stopping on a state highway, police said.

Image via Google Maps

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.