Schools
Coronavirus: Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools To Remain Open
Field trips are postponed and cleaning efforts underway, but schools remain open, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools said Thursday.
CHARLOTTE, NC — While two people have tested presumptive positive for the novel coronavirus in Mecklenburg, county health officials are not yet calling for school closures, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
The two new cases in Mecklenburg County bring the statewide total of the new coronavirus, also known at COVID-19, to 14.
“Earlier today, CMS learned from the Mecklenburg County Health Department that it has received two presumptive positive tests. Today, the Mecklenburg County Health Department said there is no need to close schools at this time,” the school district said in a statement.
Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Stay up-to-date on the new coronavirus in North Carolina. Get Patch news alerts.
Here is the rest of CMS’ statement:
Find out what's happening in Charlottefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Earlier this week, we canceled all field trips in and outside of Mecklenburg indefinitely. The exceptions are athletic, band, choral, art, JROTC and chess competitions, and those trips should continue as planned at this time. We will keep you posted about any changes.
Districtwide cleaning efforts are continuing at our schools and on our buses.
If your child is sick, please keep your child home. If your child is exhibiting symptoms and you have questions, please contact your doctor or the Mecklenburg County Health Department at 980-314-9400 to receive further guidance.
RELATED:
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.