Politics & Government

Katrina Shealy Denied Ballot Slot

State Election Commission says it has no authority to add Shealy to June 12 party primary ballot.

The S.C. Election Commission said today it has no authority to put Katrina Shealy on the June 12 GOP primary ballot, which would force her to seek a slot on the general election ballot as a petition candidate.

to recommend she be added back on the party ballot to challenge incumbent Sen. Jake Knotts for the Republican nomination for the Senate District 23 seat.

that has thrown the state's party primaries into chaos.

The election commission said that the court's May 2 ruling prevented it from adding Shealy, because she was not on the list of certified GOP candidates required to be submitted by the court's May 4 deadline.

Shealy and other candidates had been removed from the ballot for failing to properly file candidacy documents in accordance with state law, specifically Statement of Economic Interest forms. 

In a statement from the commission, it said that primary ballots are set and that any further candidates may not be added.

"The June Primary ballots are set, ballots have been printed, voting machines have been prepared, and voters are voting," the commission statement said.

Shealy campaign consultant Michael Mule said Wednesday night that in the case of an adverse decision by the state election commission, Shealy would continue to seek to become a petition candidate, which could place her on the Nov. 6 general election ballot.

"We're already going all out," to do that, he told Patch.

To be placed on the general ballot, Shealy and other candidates would be required to successfully petition five percent of the registered voters in their respective districts by noon on July 16.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Lexington