Arts & Entertainment

Weinstein Verdict Sends Message To All Predators: Actors Union

Convicted of rape in New York, Harvey Weinstein​ still faces trial in Los Angeles in a watershed case for the film industry.

Movie producer Harvey Weinstein enters New York City Criminal Court on February 24, 2020 in New York City, where a jury found him guilty of rape.
Movie producer Harvey Weinstein enters New York City Criminal Court on February 24, 2020 in New York City, where a jury found him guilty of rape. (Photo by Scott Heins/Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CA — Now a convicted rapist, disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein could spend the rest of his life in prison, but first he'll spend time in Los Angeles facing additional accusers.

Weinstein, 69, is awaiting sentencing in New York after a jury there found him guilty Monday of rape and felony sex crime counts. He's also awaiting trial in Los Angeles on charges of rape, oral copulation and sexual penetration by force, as well as a fourth count of sexual battery by restraint. He faces up to 25 years in prison on the New York charges and up to 28 years if convicted on all counts in the Los Angeles case.

Gabrielle Carteris, president of SAG-AFTRA, issued a statement in praise of the victims who cme forward and the jury that convicted the man who was once one fo Hollywood's most powerful producers. The actors' union was looking ahead to the Los Angeles case, she added.

Find out what's happening in Hollywoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"Justice was served today and Harvey Weinstein was held accountable for his crimes. But it is only a beginning. We look forward to the Weinstein prosecution in Los Angeles, where he will be brought to answer for other offenses," she said.

"`We hail the courage and conviction of the powerful survivors who brought this case to trial and saw it through to the verdict," Carteris added. "This verdict sends a thunderous message to other harassers and abusers: You can't run and you can't hide any longer. Increasingly, if you harass or abuse, you will be reported, you will get caught and you will be prosecuted."

Find out what's happening in Hollywoodfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Weinstein was acquitted of the most serious New York charge -- predatory sexual assault. In Los Angeles, he faces charges of rape, oral copulation and sexual penetration by force, as well as a fourth count of sexual battery by restraint.

Los Angeles County District Attorney Jackie Lacey's office declined to comment on the New York verdict.

The seven-man, five-woman New York jury deliberated for about 22 hours -- and at one point indicated that they might be deadlocked -- before returning with the guilty verdicts for crimes committed against two of the six women who testified that he had assaulted them.

Had the jury also found the one-time Hollywood mogul guilty of predatory sexual assault in the alleged attack on actress Annabella Sciorra, he could have been sentenced to 10 years to life in prison.

The defense argued repeatedly that all of the sex was consensual. However, Weinstein did not testify in his own defense.

Los Angeles prosecutors previously filed a motion to set bail in the Los Angeles case at $5 million, making it possible that Weinstein would be jailed while awaiting trial here. As of now, he is awaiting sentencing in New York on March 11, and his attorney has said she will appeal the jury's decision.

No date has been set for his arraignment in Los Angeles.

City News Service contributed to this report.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.