Crime & Safety
3rd Suspect Apprehended In Watsonville Shooting
A 20-year-old suspect wanted in a shooting that left a man injured in Watsonville earlier this month was arrested Wednesday, police said.
WATSONVILLE - A 20-year-old suspect wanted in a shooting that left a man injured in Watsonville earlier this month was arrested Wednesday, police said Thursday.
Jacob Glen Gooden was the third and final suspect investigators were seeking in the April 5 shooting in the area of Prospect and Lincoln streets, police Detective Sgt. Eric Montalbo said.
Also on Patch:
Find out what's happening in Watsonvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
- Watsonville Police Seek Man Wanted For Attempted Murder
- Watsonville Man Shot Multiple Times Rushed To Hospital
On Wednesday, Gooden was seen in the passenger's side of a car that pulled up to his Las Lomas home in unincorporated Monterey County and he was arrested without incident, according to Montalbo.
Gooden was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail, where he is being held without bail, according to online jail records.
Find out what's happening in Watsonvillefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Investigators suspect Gooden has ties to gangs in Watsonville, Las Lomas and Castroville, according to Montalbo.
Two other suspects, 18-year-old Carlos Valdivia of Castroville and 20-year-old Alexis Ortiz of Las Lomas, were arrested earlier this month and booked into county jail, Montalbo said.
The 24-year-old victim was shot multiple times after speaking with the three suspects, one of whom shot at the suspect before they fled in a brown or gold car, according to Montalbo.
The victim left the scene and was taken to a hospital by his friends for treatment of injuries to his upper torso that were not considered life-threatening, Montalbo said.
Over the course of their investigation, police have seized four firearms and arrested a 17-year-old boy for an alleged firearms crime unrelated to the case, Montalbo said.
-Bay City News, images via Watsonville Police Department
