ENFIELD, CT — A judge has sentenced an Enfield man to prison after a jury convicted him earlier this year of sexually assaulting a teenage student at a martial arts studio in town.
Aaron Stiles, 25, was sentenced May 15 in Hartford Superior Court to a total effective sentence of 10 years in prison, suspended after five years served, followed by 15 years of probation, according to the Connecticut Division of Criminal Justice. The sentence also requires him to register on the state sex offender registry.
A Hartford jury found Stiles guilty on March 19 of second-degree sexual assault, third-degree sexual assault and first-degree unlawful restraint, the state said.
MORE NORTHERN CT NEWS:
Prosecutors said the victim was 16 at the time and was a student at a martial arts studio in Enfield, where Stiles, then 21, worked as a certified instructor.
Evidence at trial showed what prosecutors described as a pattern of inappropriate conduct over time. The jury also heard testimony about a May 2022 incident in which Stiles followed the girl into a changing area at the studio, grabbed her by the throat and sexually assaulted her, according to the state.
Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Danielle O’Connell prosecuted the case with help from Inspector Carlos Ocasio and Paralegal Specialist Kelly Randall. Judge Nuala E. Droney imposed the sentence.
For more Northern Connecticut news, follow Patch editor Jay Kenney.
Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
Enfield, CT Patch
Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.