Health & Fitness
Stamford Coronavirus Updates: City Has 1,000 Confirmed Cases
City officials also noted state data indicates Stamford has had "20 reported deaths attributed to COVID-19 cases."

STAMFORD, CT — City officials announced Tuesday evening that Stamford has 1,000 confirmed cases of the new coronavirus, as of 4 p.m. on April 7, according to the state Department of Public Health. That number is up from the 888 confirmed cases of the virus, also referred to as COVID-19, reported a day prior, officials said.
In the city's daily "COVID-19 situation newsletter," officials also noted the state's interactive dashboard that tracks cases and deaths across the entire state indicates Stamford has had "20 reported deaths attributed to COVID-19 cases" as of 12:30 p.m. on April 7. (To sign up for Stamford breaking news alerts and more, click here.)
Martin also announced Tuesday evening that all city tennis courts and golf courses will close to "reduce the risk of person-to-person transmission" of the new coronavirus. While city tennis courts are closed effectively immediately, golf courses will officially close to the public on Friday, Martin said.
Find out what's happening in Stamfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
See also: Stamford Coronavirus Updates: Tennis Courts, Golf Courses Closed
In a prepared statement, Martin stressed the need for residents to continue taking measures to help mitigate the spread of the virus.
Find out what's happening in Stamfordfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Estimated projections suggest the peak of COVID-19 cases in Fairfield County will be in two or three weeks, which means the peak for transmission of this virus is right now," Martin said in a statement. "It has never been more important for residents to stay home, avoid gatherings, wash your hands frequently and don't touch your face."
'City officials said they will continue to pursue measures to reduce the spread of the virus throughout Stamford.
"Even as closures continue, the city of Stamford encourages residents to practice social distancing by staying at home when possible," city officials said in a statement. "This has proven to be one of the best steps individuals can take to keep our community safe from COVID-19."
Martin previously ordered the closure of all city playgrounds and fields.
See also: Stamford Businesses: Open Or Closed? Let Your Customers Know
- Stamford Coronavirus Updates: GoFundMe Launched For Hospital
- Stamford Coronavirus Updates: Courthouse Temporarily Closed
- Stamford Coronavirus Updates: Westhill Testing Site Open
- Mayor Releases Statement On Stamford's First Coronavirus Death
- Stamford Coronavirus Updates: Schools Change Building Procedures
- Stamford Brewery Offering Contactless Curbside Beer Pickup
COVID-19 is caused by a member of the coronavirus family that's a close cousin to the SARS and MERS viruses that have caused outbreaks in the past.
Further information about Stamford's response to the COVID-19 public health emergency can be found at www.stamfordct.gov/covid19.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.