Crime & Safety

More Victims Come Forward In Child Sex Abuse Case

A former District 300 substitute teacher is now accused of having sexual contact with four victims under the age of 13.

ALGONQUIN, IL -- A former substitute teacher for Community Unit School District 300 charged last month with sexually abusing a child is back in jail for accusations he assaulted three more victims, prosecutors said Monday. Carlos A. Bedoya, 62, of the 100 block of Acorn Lane in Lake in the Hills, was indicted last week on 21 counts of predatory criminal sexual assault, Class X felonies; one count of indecent solicitation of a child, a Class 1 felony; and 14 counts of aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a child, Class 2 felonies, according to a news release from the Kane County State's Attorney's Office.

As part of an amended complaint filed in Kane County on Aug. 8, prosecutors said Bedoya made sexual contact with four victims -- all who were under the age of 13 years old -- between August 2015 and June 2017, according to prosecutors.

The amended complaint takes the place of an initial complaint filed by the Kane County State's Attorney's Office in July that alleged Bedoya made sexual contact with a single child, who was younger than 13 years old, between August 2016 and May 2017, prosecutors said.

Find out what's happening in Algonquin-Lake In The Hillsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

If convicted of the most serious offense, Bedoya must be sentenced to life in prison, according to the news release.

In July, Bedoya posted his $10,000 bond and was released from jail. Following the Aug. 8 indictment, a Kane County judge raised Bedoya's bail to $3 million. Bedoya, who must post 10 percent or $300,000 of his bail to apply for release, remained in custody as of Monday afternoon.

Find out what's happening in Algonquin-Lake In The Hillsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

If he posts bond, Bedoya is prohibited from having any contact with the victims and any contact with any minor under age 18. In addition, Bedoya must resign in writing from all teaching and coaching positions, according to prosecutors.

Bedoya is next expected in court on Aug. 31.

The case remains under investigation. Anyone with information should call their local police department or the Kane County Child Advocacy Center at (630) 208-5160.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.