Crime & Safety

FB Live Victim Threatened With Dog, Told Sex Could Be 'Easy Way Or Hard Way': Prosecutors

Two teens have been ordered held in custody while they await trial in the case.

CHICAGO, IL — Cook County prosecutors claimed Tuesday the attackers accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl and streaming it on Facebook Live told the victim she could "have sex the easy way or the hard way" and threatened to let a dog maul her if she tried to escape, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Two teenage boys — a 14 and 15 years old — have been charged in the case, and they both face felony counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault, manufacture of child pornography and dissemination of child pornography.

The 14-year-old boy was arrested Saturday night, and the 15-year-old boy, accompanied by his mom, surrendered to police Monday. Both teens have been charged as juveniles.

Find out what's happening in West Sidefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

On Tuesday, April 4, the 15-year-old suspect was ordered held at the Juvenile Temporary Detention Center until his trial, the Tribune reports. The 14-year-old suspect already had been ordered held in custody, the report added.

The sexual assault of the 15-year-old girl occured March 19, the day she went missing, police said. The family reported the teen's disappearance to authorities the next day. That's when relatives discovered the disturbing Facebook Live video of the victim being attacked.

Find out what's happening in West Sidefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

On Tuesday, prosecutors claimed at least four boys slapped the girl numerous times during the assault, as well as used the threat of a dog attack to intimidate her, according to the Tribune. The boys also admitted to others that they were involved in the attack, the report added.

According to prosecutors, the teens were identified from video stills of the assault, and they are both accused of recording the attack, the report stated. The 14-year-old boy, who is accused of telling the girl the sex could be "the easy way or the hard way," also is seen on the video assaulting the victim, the report added.

The 15-year-old's assistant public defender argued probable cause hadn't been shown for her client, and she claimed the 14-year-old commited most of the sexual acts against the girl, the report stated. But Judge Patricia Mendoza, who has been assigned to the Juvenile Division, said the mere fact the 15-year-old is in the video means he shares responsibility for the attack, the report added.

Detectives continue to investigate the attack and are trying to identify other suspects glimpsed in the Facebook video, which was viewed by about 40 people before it was pulled off the social media network.

Since returning home, the girl and her relatives have faced harassment online and offline, according to police. The threats and taunting on the internet and by neighbors became so bad that the Cook County State's Attorney's Office helped the family relocate from its Lawndale neighborhood.

Police will continue to monitor the bullying against the victim and her family, but so far, none of the harassment has reached the point in which criminal charges could be filed.

More via the Chicago Tribune


Chicago police Superintendent Eddie Johnson talks to reporters Sunday, April 2, about the sexual assault of a 15-year-old girl that was recorded and streamed over Facebook Live. (screen shot of video via Chicago Police Department)

Like What You're Reading? Stay Patched In!

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from West Side