Crime & Safety

Murder Charge Filed In Annapolis Shooting That Killed One, Wounded One Victim

Two Annapolis residents were shot last week, killing a man and wounding a woman. Police have charged a suspect with murder.

ANNAPOLIS, MD — A shooting suspect was charged with murder Tuesday in the death of an Annapolis man who died last week from gunshot wounds, while his companion has been released from the hospital, police said. The couple was shot Sept. 20, and the suspect charged in the case barricaded himself in an Edgewater house for several hours before surrendering, Annapolis Police say. Michael Covert, 36, of Annapolis died Sept. 21 from his injuries, say Annapolis Police, while Lashira Addison, 41, of Annapolis, was wounded, but is no longer in the hospital.

Barnabas Offer Jr., 25, of Annapolis, surrendered after the standoff and was initially charged with two counts of attempted murder, two counts each of first- and second-degree assault, two counts of reckless endangerment, and illegal possession of a handgun, authorities said. He was the only person in the home during the incident.

And on Tuesday authorities charged Offer with murder in Covert's death, as well as with attempted first- and second-degree murder of another victim who was shot at, but not struck. Offer was charged with ten additional criminal counts and is being held at the Jennifer Road Detention Center without bond.

Find out what's happening in Annapolisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the family of Michael Covert following this tragedy," Mayor Michael Pantelides said in a statement last week. "I also pray for strength and healing for Ms. Addison following this devastating situation in our community. I will continue to work with the executive director of HACA and continue to coordinate our efforts, putting a stop to these senseless deaths that are causing havoc in our community. Our police department has once again demonstrated its commitment to finding and arresting those who are a danger to our residents, despite where they try to hide. I commend the department for its dedication to our community and for their outstanding investigative work."

For more local news like the Annapolis Patch Facebook page:

Find out what's happening in Annapolisfor free with the latest updates from Patch.


The shootings were reported shortly before 8 p.m. Wednesday in the 1100 block of Madison Street. Officers were told a person of interest linked to the shooting — later identified as Offer — was at an address in the 700 block of Central Avenue in Edgewater. When officers arrived about 11 p.m., Offer barricaded himself inside the home, officers set up a perimeter and negotiators responded. The police response closed Central Avenue to all traffic until about 5:30 a.m. Thursday.

Police also arrested two suspects in the 1100 block of Madison Street during the shooting investigation for reportedly being inside an apartment without permission from the resident. Craig Belt, 30, of Annapolis and Delvonta Wright, 25, of Severn, were charged with handgun possession and fourth-degree burglary after they were found in an apartment.

Officers found a handgun in the apartment and are working to determine if it was the firearm used in the shooting.

Anne Arundel County Police closed off Rt. 214, also known as Central Avenue, near Oak Lane in the Camp Letts area, to all traffic while the barricaded suspect talked with a police negotiator.

Annapolis Police ask anyone with information about this incident to contact detectives at 410-260-3439. You can also call Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7LOCKUP and submit an anonymous tip. If your tip leads to an arrest or indictment you may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2,000.
Patch file photo

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.