Cambridge, MA
News Feed
Events
Local Businesses
Classifieds
Crime & Safety

Cambridge Shooting Suspect To Remain In Custody Until Trial After Dangerousness Hearing

The man made another virtual court appearance from the hospital.

Brown is believed to be responsible for opening fire on civilians earlier this month. (Boston Regional Intelligence Center)

CAMBRIDGE, MA — The suspect in the Memorial Drive shooting will continue to be held without bail after being deemed dangerous on Thursday.

Tyler Brown, 46, made his second appearance at Cambridge District Court in Medford one week after his initial arraignment. Brown participated virtually once again as he remains hospitalized with multiple gunshot wounds that stem from the incident that took place on Monday, May 11.

Subscribe

Assistant District Attorney Nicole Allain presented a total of nine pieces of evidence to Judge David E. Frank meant to support the argument that Brown must remain in police custody until his trial. Among the items presented was video from the day of the shooting and Brown’s criminal record that dates back 30 years.

Allain recounted the experience of one of the two victims who were seriously injured after being shot by Brown.

“A man was sitting in traffic while this was unfolding when the defendant approached him right up to his car window and began shooting him,” Allain said.

Allain also described the experience of the other victim, who was shot in the back of the head while attempting to turn his van around and escape the danger.

“As he is driving away from the defendant, a bullet goes through the back of his van and hits him in the back of his head,” Allain said. “He was able to drive himself to the hospital.”

Both victims have since been released from the hospital, and Allain confirmed Thursday that they are expected to fully recover.

Brown’s Defense Attorney Carolyn McGowan of McGowan and Associates once again joined her client's bedside, and did not contest the motion of the prosecution. However, she emphasized that she does plan to present a “robust and complete” defense of Brown at his trial. Brown once again laid with his eyes closed throughout the proceeding, this time wearing a surgical mask on his face.

When law enforcement responded to the shooting, Brown began firing at them as well before ultimately surrendering. Brown was shot by a Trooper and a former Marine who had a license to carry. Brown was on parole at the time of the incident stemming from a shootout with Boston police in the spring of 2020.

According to the parole officer, Brown had recently relapsed, using crack cocaine and expressing suicidal thoughts. A neighbor of Brown corroborated that story, saying Brown was acting erratically the night before and was also drinking alcohol. He was released from McLean Psychiatric Hospital in Belmont on Friday, May 8.

His next court date is scheduled for Monday, June 22.

See Also:

Cambridge Man Arrested On Illegal Drug And Weapon Charges

2 Men Accused Of Causing Harvard Medical School Explosion Plead Guilty

Cambridge-based Food Chain Cutting More Than 180 Employees

2 People Critically Injured In Cambridge Car Crash

Rollover Crash In Cambridge Damages Multiple Cars

More from Cambridge, MA
News | 2h
News | 3h
See more on Patch >

Sign up for free local newsletters and alerts for the
Cambridge, MA Patch

Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news.
Visit Patch.com to find your town today.

©2026 Patch Media. All Rights Reserved

Do Not Sell My Personal Information