Business & Tech

Detroit Board Clears Macomb Contractor to Bid on Water and Sewer Projects

Detroit Water and Sewerage Board of Water Commissioners says water-sewer subcontractor L. D'Agostini & Sons Inc., of Macomb Township, cannot be barred from bidding on future Detroit projects.

Macomb Township-based is free to bid on Detroit water and sewer projects once more. 

The Detroit Water and Sewerage Board of Water Commissioners cleared the Macomb Township water-sewer subcontractor late Wednesday, finding that it "is not in possession of sufficient facts or other evidence that would enable it to conclude" that D'Agostini was a non-responsible bidder, according to Crain's Detroit.

This stems from references to D'Agostini in the indictments against former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick. The Macomb company was one of 14 companies barred for three years from bidding on work for the department in December 2011.

Find out what's happening in Macomb Townshipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

D'Agostini filed suit against DWSD in January to have its suspension lifted, claiming that the indictment against Kilpatrick did not implicate the company in any wrongdoing.

of five contractors, including D'Agostini, in January, with permanent reinstatement pending a review of individual appeals by a committee of water board members.

Find out what's happening in Macomb Townshipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

That committee reviewed D'Agostini and DLZ Michigan Inc. last week, with the full board voting Wednesday to fully restore the bidding powers of both.

As for the , Mark McAlpine, attorney for D'Agostini, told Crain's Detroit Thursday "that the company is in discussions with the board on an agreement to dismiss D'Agostini's lawsuit."

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.