Crime & Safety

Pair Made Fake Bomb Threat Against Bergen Business: Prosecutor

Shane Turner and Nina Walsh were charged with making terroristic threats.

BERGEN COUNTY, NJ — Two people were arrested after an investigation into a fake bomb threat was called into an Edgewater business last year.

Shane Turner, 33, of Cliffside Park and Nina Walsh, 31, of Hawthorne were each charged with making terroristic threats and creating false public alarm, said Bergen County Prosecutor Gurbir S. Grewal.

Members of the Prosecutor's Office Cyber Crimes Unit investigated a bomb threat phone call that an Edgewater business received on June 22, 2016, Grewal said. The Edgewater Fire Department and the Bergen County Sheriff's Department responded and determined that the threat was a hoax, the prosecutor said.

Find out what's happening in Fort Leefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The caller used technology to make their caller ID information anonymous when the call was placed, Grewal said.

An investigation revealed that Turner and Walsh placed the call to cause the area to be evacuated and used technology to make their caller ID information anonymous, Grewal said.

Find out what's happening in Fort Leefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Turner and Walsh surrendered to Prosecutor's Office detectives Monday. They were released pending a first appearance in Bergen County Central Judicial Processing Court July 5 at 9 a.m., Grewal said.


Email daniel.hubbard@patch.com. Get Patch breaking news alerts sent right to your phone with our new app. Download here.

Photos: Shane Turner, 33, of Cliffside Park, and Nina Walsh, 31, of Hawthorne — Courtesy of Bergen County Prosecutor's Office/Background image via Shutterstock

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.