Politics & Government

2 Major NJ Laws Take Effect On Dec. 1

One law should boost driver safety – especially as a snowy, icy mess was falling in NJ. Here's the latest on the law and the storm.

NEW JERSEY – Two significant New Jersey laws took effect on Sunday – including legislation that should boost driver safety as a snowy, icy mess was falling in New Jersey on Sunday.

The law comes as Gov. Phil Murphy said preparations were underway Sunday as the "opening salvos" began for a snowstorm that's expected to hit New Jersey over the next three days. Traffic was already a mess across the state. Read more: NJ Weather: Updated Winter Storm Warning, Ice, Snow, Traffic Mess

The new traffic law imposes new penalities for drunk drivers – including a requirement that all motorists convicted of DWI must install in-car breathalyzers that immobilize a vehicle if the motorist's breath registers too much alcohol.

Find out what's happening in Manasquan-Belmarfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The other new law targets pedophile priests and Boy Scout leaders just months after hundreds of names of credibly accused offenders came to light.

That law extends the statute of limitations in civil actions for sexual abuse claims, creating a two-year window to file cases for which the statute of limitations had previously expired.

Find out what's happening in Manasquan-Belmarfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

The legislation comes after nearly 200 names on a list of sex offenders in the clergy were named by the Catholic church earlier this year. Here is the list released by the Catholic church in February: Here's List Of NJ Priests Accused Of Child Sexual Abuse (UPDATED)

In April, 52 Boy Scout leaders who worked in New Jersey and were accused of sexual abuse were named by attorneys who represent victims. Read more: 52 NJ Boy Scout Leaders Accused Of Sexual Abuse Named

Then, in May, the names of more than 100 additional priests and members of the clergy were also released in a new disclosure. Read more: Another 100 NJ Priests, Clergy Accused Of Sex Abuse In Disclosure

Already, two law firms announced they were filing lawsuits. Attorneys from Rebenack, Aronow & Mascolo, LLP and Pfau Cochran Vertetis Amala PLLC (PCVA) said they planned to file 38 lawsuits on behalf of dozens of abuse survivors.

These suits include claims against:

  • The Boy Scouts of America
  • The Archdiocese of Newark
  • The Diocese of Trenton
  • The Diocese of Camden
  • The Diocese of Metuchen
  • The Diocese of Paterson
  • Salem County
  • Admiral Farragut Academy

Here is what each bill does:

Sex-abuse claims

The law, which Gov. Phil Murphy signed in May, creates the two-year window for parties to bring lawsuits and expands the categories of potential defendants in civil actions.

Indeed, the nonprofit entities that employ the offenders – such as churches – may now be sued and held liable, too.

The law, for one, voids the immunity of governments from lawsuits based on injuries resulting from acts of sexual abuse. Indeed, any public entity may be held liable in any suit in the same manner as a private organization.

Child victims must file suit by their 55th birthday, or within 7 years of discovering the assault. Adult victims must file suit within 7 years of discovering the assault.

“Survivors of sexual abuse deserve opportunities to seek redress against their abusers,” said Murphy said. “This legislation allows survivors who have faced tremendous trauma the ability to pursue justice through the court system.”

Primary sponsors of the bill include Sens. Joseph Vitale and Nicholas Scutari; and Assemblymembers Annette Quijano, Valerie Vainieri Huttle, and Mila Jasey.

“It’s time to stand up for the survivors of sexual assault,” said Scutari. “If our institutions cannot keep their members safe or hold their employees accountable, then we will. With this bill, we are making it clear; New Jersey stands with the survivors, first.”

Drunk-driving penalties

The new law, signed by Murphy in August, expands the use of ignition interlock devices for those convicted of drunk driving offenses and of refusing breath tests.

The legislation (S824) also reduces the length of license suspension and forfeitures for these offenses.

“Expanding the use of ignition interlock devices is just common sense,” said Murphy. “We must deter drunk driving without negatively impacting individuals’ ability to take care of themselves or their families."

The measure requires first-time offenders to install ignition interlock devices (IID), and the offender must assume the cost.

The legislation also requires the chief administrator of the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission to issue a summary report containing information on drunk driving offenders that are required to install an IID, on a semi-annual basis.

Murphy said the new law is a better option for first-time offenders than license suspensions, which he says "do not stop drunk drivers from getting behind the wheel and they can prevent ex-offenders from supporting their livelihoods."

"In contrast, ignition interlock devices prevent drunk driving while allowing ex-offenders to support themselves and their families,” he said.

Primary sponsors of the legislation include Scutari and Sen. Joseph Lagana, and Assemblymembers Joann Downey and Daniel Benson.

“The numbers show that requiring the installation of an ignition interlock device is the most effective way to prevent repeat offenses and ultimately reduce deaths caused by drunk driving,” said Lagana. “You simply cannot drive drunk with one in your vehicle because the engine will not even start if you are intoxicated. This law will make our roads safer to travel for all of our residents.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.