Politics & Government
Maple Street Dining Decision Draws Heated Debate Between Summit Officials
Elizabeth Fagan chose not to close Maple Street after council gave her final authority over the decision.

SUMMIT, NJ — Summit officials spent much of the May 19 Common Council meeting debating the future of outdoor dining downtown after Mayor Elizabeth Fagan decided not to close Maple Street to traffic this summer.
The dispute stems from an ordinance previously passed by the council that would have allowed Maple Street to become a pedestrian-only outdoor dining area, similar to previous summers. However, the ordinance did not automatically close the street. Instead, it gave the mayor the authority to make the final decision on whether the closure would move forward.
Fagan ultimately chose not to authorize the closure, citing concerns about emergency vehicle access and traffic safety.
Find out what's happening in Summitfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
The decision triggered backlash from some council members and residents who support the outdoor dining setup and believe it helps downtown restaurants and businesses.
The disagreement spilled into public comment during Tuesday’s meeting, with residents offering sharply different perspectives on whether the closure would improve downtown life or create public safety concerns.
Find out what's happening in Summitfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Resident Stacey Allen shared a personal story about her daughter suffering a severe allergic reaction while dining downtown and said emergency access needs to remain the priority.
“We don't love outdoor dining when it means fire trucks and ambulances, or me driving my daughter to the hospital, can't get through,” Allen said.
Former Council President Mike McTiernan criticized the council for approving an ordinance that left the final decision to the mayor instead of deciding the issue themselves.
“They elected you to make those decisions,” McTiernan told council members. “They didn't elect you to ask the mayor to do that.”
Several council members defended the proposal to close Maple Street and argued the pedestrian plaza had operated successfully during previous summers.
Councilman Dan Crisafulli said emergency response concerns had already been reviewed by city officials.
“Chief Edwards stated clearly that the fire department was prepared to respond safely in the area and had sufficient access,” Crisafulli said.
He also said no realistic alternative location for a downtown pedestrian dining area has been identified.
“No comparable alternative to Maple Street for a summer pedestrian area downtown has been identified,” he added.
Councilwoman Jaclyn Lasaracina argued that limiting vehicle traffic can improve pedestrian safety downtown.
“Having a pedestrian area protected from vehicular traffic is a way to enhance pedestrian safety,” Lasaracina said.
But not all council members opposed the mayor’s decision.
Councilman Bob Pawlowski, who later resigned during the same meeting, sharply criticized the council majority and argued the ordinance failed to meet the legal standards required for a street closure.
“The council majority deflected accountability and projected its own failure on Mayor Fagan,” Pawlowski said.
Councilman Jamel Boyer also questioned the process behind the ordinance.
“The Maple Street closure ordinance attempted to work around the mayor's authority,” Boyer said.
For now, Maple Street will remain open to traffic as the debate over outdoor dining, safety and downtown development continues to divide city officials and residents heading into the summer months.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.