Schools

Blind Brook School To Reopen Next Week Pending State Approval

District officials and architects consulting on the project said they are "optimistic" students could return to classrooms in days.

Interim Superintendent Colin Byrne answers parents' questions at a virtual town hall held on Tuesday.
Interim Superintendent Colin Byrne answers parents' questions at a virtual town hall held on Tuesday. (Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District public meeting )

RYE BROOK, NY — During a town hall meeting, Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District officials told families that elementary students could return to classrooms as early as next week.

A state inspection on Thursday morning will determine the timetable. School board members said they were "optimistic" that Ridge Street Elementary School will re-open by Monday or Tuesday of next week. If the building and plans pass Thursday's inspection, 24 classrooms will be allowed to be used. Administrators said that will let all of the students at the school return to in-person classes.

The Bruno M. Ponterio Ridge Street Elementary School was closed by the New York State Department of Education on Sept. 8, over safety concerns, including non-working fire alarms and sprinkler systems. School officials said ongoing construction at the school led to the violations.

Find out what's happening in Ryefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"Our absolute top priority remains passing the inspection," Blind Brook-Rye Board of Education President Scott Jaffee told parents and teachers during last night's virtual meeting. "Getting to a place where we can be inspected and then passing the inspection."

During a school board meeting last week, school board members apologized for a "breakdown in communication." It was also announced that Superintendent Patrick Brimstein was being placed on paid leave.

Find out what's happening in Ryefor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Assistant Superintendent Colin Byrne was named interim superintendent in Brimstein's absence.

In a letter to families dated Sept. 26, Byrne said that the Ridge Street Elementary School Special Education Program would return to in-person instruction on Tuesday. He wrote that the district received approval to provide in-person learning at the King Street campus for the 6 special education classes which were left without classrooms when the school was ordered closed.

Byrne said alternative sites for classrooms are still under review, but he noted, "there is no instant solution that will simply allow us to relocate our students into these classrooms next week." He said the district is exploring spaces at JCC in Harrison and Camp Mohawk in White Plains.

"We thank you for your patience and understanding as we all work tirelessly to put these difficult times behind us and move this district forward," Byrne wrote. "The board and district administration, teachers and staff acknowledge and appreciate the sacrifices that all of you have made, and we will not rest until we return to the quality of in-person education for all Blind Brook students that you rightfully demand."

At Tuesday night's town hall, consultants with BB Architects said they are confident that the building will pass Thursday's inspection by the state fire marshal.


Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.