Community Corner

Suffolk Police Announce Increase Patrols, New Initiatives in Brentwood Following Recent Murders

Police discussed their plan to reduce gangs after the deaths of two teenage girls and the discovery of human remains at a conference on Wed.

Police have announced at a conference on Wednesday several initiatives they are planning on taking against gangs in the Brentwood area following the recently death of two teenage girls and discovery of two skeletal remains in the area.

Last week, 15-year-old Nisa Mickens and 16-year-old Kayla Cuevas were found dead near Stahley Street and Ray Court in Brentwood.

On Friday, human remains, identified as 19-year-old Oscar Acosta, were found in a wooded area west of Emjay Boulevard and north of the Long Island Rail Road tracks.

Find out what's happening in West Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

On Wednesday, a second set of skeletal remains were found in Brentwood.

All of the incidents are believed to be related to the violent street gang, MS-13.

Find out what's happening in West Islipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

At the conference, Police Commissioner Timothy D. Sini stated that a possible suspect in the murders, a violent gang member operating in the Brentwood community, is currently in federal custody.

"The Suffolk County Police Department stands with the Brentwood community," Sini said at the briefing. "It's a beautiful, resilient community that has made unbelievable progress in the last several years and the Suffolk County Police Department is committed to some basic objectives in this point in time."

Sini said that police are doing "everything in their power" to solve the cases as well as decimate gangs.

They have made lists of known gang members in the area and are putting pressure on them using gang officers and members of the newly created FAST (fire arm suppression team) who are experts on firearms violence and gangs members.

In addition, the local police department will be working with federal law enforcement and enhancing patrols in the Brentwood and Central Islip areas, especially in the schools.

In addition to the increased police presence, the Brentwood School District announced after the murders that the school will be using metal detectors and handheld wands to ensure no weapons are brought inside the buildings.

Sini also said that police will also be starting a new initiative at the Brentwood elementary schools called Change, a program to prevent kids from joining gangs."

Several community meetings will also be scheduled in the future.

"The only people in Brentwood who have something to fear are the criminals and we are going to do everything in our power to bring those accountable to justice," Sini said.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.