Crime & Safety

Loftis Clears Deputies Involved in Conestee Shooting

A pair of deputies involved in October shooting have been approved to return to work by Greenville County Sheriff Steve Loftis.

Two Greenville County Sheriff's deputies are back on the job after Sheriff Steve Loftis cleared them for a shooting last month in Conestee that injured a man.

Following an internal investigation into the shooting, deputies Brian Lovelace and Michael Downey were permitted to return to duty on Oct. 22, Loftis announced Tuesday.

The incident happened last month after the GCSO received a disturbance and loud music call in the area of 6th St., in Conestee. Within ten minutes deputies Lovelace and Deputy Downey were in the area and located a large crowd gathered near a bonfire at 712 6th Street, according to a summary of the incident.

While both deputies were speaking with several individuals about the complaint, 33-year old Michael Duane Henderson retrieved a handgun from a vehicle, the report said. Lovelace and Downey ordered Henderson to drop the gun multiple times. Henderson did not comply with commands and turned toward the deputies while still in possession of the gun "placing the deputies’ lives in danger," the report said.

Lovelace and Downey fired their service weapons striking Henderson in the abdomen and shoulder. Henderson was transported to Greenville Memorial Hospital to be treated for his injuries. 

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.

More from Mauldin