Crime & Safety
Sentencing Announced For Man Convicted Of Shooting Police Officer In Bulletproof Vest
Brett Monteith, a 33-year-old man from Woodbridge who previously pleaded guilty to shooting a police officer, was sentenced on Thursday.
WOODBRIDGE, VA — A Woodbridge man was sentenced to life in prison today for the attempted murder of a Prince William County police officer in November 2018. The man, Brett Monteith, pleaded guilty to attempted murder charges in December 2021.
Monteith was accused of shooting a police officer, striking the officer in his bulletproof vest. The officer returned to full duty less than two weeks after the shooting.
Monteith was charged with two counts of attempted capital murder and two counts of using a firearm in commission of a felony.
Find out what's happening in Woodbridgefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"Our office works extremely hard for justice," Prince William County Commonwealth’s Attorney Amy Ashworth said in a news release. "We work hard to hold people accountable for their actions and to keep our community safe, including the police officers that work here."
Shortly after 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 4, 2018, officers with the Prince William County Police Department were called to a home on Laurel Street in Woodbridge. When officers arrived on the scene, Monteith, armed with a .45 caliber rifle, opened fire from the roof of a home, according to police reports.
Find out what's happening in Woodbridgefor free with the latest updates from Patch.
One bullet struck an officer in his bulletproof vest. Multiple other rounds struck the police cruiser and other homes in the area, police said.
Officers ordered Monteith to drop the rifle; he refused, authorities claimed. Monteith descended from the roof, approached the officers, and pointed a rifle at them. One of the officers then shot Monteith in the upper body, according to the Office of the Commonwealth's Attorney.
Monteith was taken to a hospital to receive treatment for his injuries. The officer who was shot in the bulletproof vest was taken to a hospital as a precaution. No other injuries were reported.
The involved officers were initially placed on a paid leave, but their actions were considered justified. Paul Ebert, who was the county's Commonwealth's Attorney in 2018, said "the evidence indicates that the responding officers used great restraint and used deadly force only when necessary."
Read more: No Charges For Officers Who Shot Man In Woodbridge: PWC Police
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.