Crime & Safety

911 Call About Shot Resident Was Hoax: Mount Prospect Police

Police said the Tuesday afternoon incident involved "swatting," and called it a "deliberate and malicious act."

MOUNT PROSPECT, IL — A Tuesday afternoon 911 call regarding a resident being shot in a residence was a hoax. According to police, the call asking police to respond to a home in the 500 block of South Wille Street was made by a person located in a different state, who was "swatting" the residence.

Police responded to the home at 2:51 p.m. following the 911 call. During a subsequent investigation, officers were able to make contact with the homeowner, who was not at home, by phone. They were quickly able to determine that the call was a hoax after conducting a thorough search and not finding anyone that had been injured or shot. Police were also able to determine there was no threat to the safety of the community.

In a news release, the Mount Prospect Police Department described "swatting" a the act of creating a hoax 911 call, typically involving acts of extreme violence to bring about a large police response to an unsuspecting person’s residence. Police said it is a "deliberate and malicious act that creates an environment of fear and unnecessary risk."

Find out what's happening in Arlington Heightsfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Police are continuing to investigate this hoax 911 call and ask anyone with any information that might assist in identifying and locating the offender in this incident to call the investigative unit at 847-870-5654.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.