Community Corner

Demolition Of AJ Freund's House Starts Wednesday

Demolition of the home at 94 S. Dole Avenue could take up to two days.

A home at 94 S. Dole will be demolished.
A home at 94 S. Dole will be demolished. (Amie Schaenzer)

CRYSTAL LAKE, IL — The home where authorities say 5-year-old AJ Freund was brutally beaten to death will be torn down. The demolition of 94 Dole Ave. is expected to start at 7 a.m. Wednesday, Michelle Rentzsch, director for community development with the city of Crystal Lake, told Patch.

It could take as long as two days to completely demolish the home, David Pardys, an attorney for the city, told the Daily Herald.

In a lawsuit filed last summer against Andrew Freund Sr. and Joann Cunningham, the city cited 41 code violations on the property, declaring the house dangerous.

Find out what's happening in Crystal Lake-Caryfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Items left in memory of AJ Freund could be found at 94 S. Dole Avenue on Feb. 27, 2020. Photo credit: Amie Schaenzer

In November, a McHenry County judge found the couple in default, which allowed for the home to be demolished.

Green Demolition Contractors Inc. will demolish the home at no cost to the city, according to the Northwest Herald. The local company stepped forward to donate its services in recent months, and the Crystal Lake City Council accepted the offer in January.

Find out what's happening in Crystal Lake-Caryfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Meanwhile, Cunningham and Freund remain behind bars. Cunningham pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and is set to be sentenced on April 30.

Freund is next expected in court on April 24 for a status hearing. Last week, Freund appeared in court in McHenry County where he waived his right to a jury trial, meaning a judge will decide whether he is guilty or not in connection with his son's death.

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.