Schools
Bomb Threat Targeted Schools Nationwide, Howard County Schools Escaped Hoax: Official
Schools, churches, airports and synagogues across the country have received bomb threats recently. HCPSS has not received such a threat yet.
HOWARD COUNTY, MD — Several bomb threats recently made against school districts across the country are not credible, officials have determined, including threats against Maryland schools.
As of Dec. 12, no bomb threats have been made against the Howard County Public School System.
It is believed the bomb threats were sent by a terrorist group, according to the FBI, and originally were sent to more than 50 school districts in Ohio, followed by Texas schools, Oregon districts and then to school districts and other entities beyond those states, reports the BBC.
Find out what's happening in Columbiafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"While the FBI has no information to indicate these threats are credible at this time, public safety agencies can never simply discount such threats as a nuisance," the FBI stated.
Brian Bassett, a spokesperson for Howard County Public Schools, told Fox45 News Tuesday that the school system is not aware of any threats made against schools in their district. Nearby Harford County Public Schools shared with parents and posted on Facebook that it received a "general threat" via email.
Find out what's happening in Columbiafor free with the latest updates from Patch.
"While HCPS is not specifically named in the email, the threat was sent to a general HCPS email account. Donoven Brooks, HCPS Supervisor of Safety and Security, is working closely with the Harford County Sheriff’s Office to review the content and source of the email. The email will be reported to all necessary law enforcement partners. There is no credible threat at this time," the school district stated.
The News Desk reported Tuesday that the anonymous bomb threats also were made to airports and synagogues, including in Baltimore County. According to the note sent to school district parents there, the threat claimed that explosive devices had been placed in all Baltimore County Schools and all Maryland Public Schools.
"Our school resource officers are on alert and will be working closely with school administrators throughout the day. At this time, we have not received threats targeting specific BCPS schools, however, we take all threats seriously and are grateful for the support and partnership of BCoPD as we work to ensure the safety of all Team BCPS staff and students," the note from Baltimore County Public Schools said.
The FBI also emailed a statement to FOX45 News about the bomb threats being made across the country:
"The FBI remains vigilant and continues to work closely with our law enforcement partners on a state and local level. The FBI asks members of the public to maintain awareness of their surroundings and to report any suspicious activity to law enforcement," the statement read.
Schools districts were informed by federal officials that there is no credible threat, the BBC reported.
"Based on the nearly identical language of the emails and the emails being sent to hundreds of schools nationwide, the Department of Homeland Security determined that these emails are hoax emails, otherwise known as 'swatting' emails... meant to incite panic," Josh Straus, technology coordinator for Ohio's Logan-Hocking district, said in a statement.
The FBI said it will continue to work with local and federal agencies to "act upon information as it comes to our attention."
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.