Crime & Safety
Video Of David Creato's Police Interview Shown During Murder Trial
The video was played in court, and Det. Michael Rhodes testified on Wednesday, according to published reports.

HADDON TOWNSHIP, NJ — David “DJ” Creato wasn’t immediately told his son’s body had been found during an interview with Haddon Township Police on the morning of Oct. 13, 2015, according to a videotape of the interview played during Day 3 of his murder trial on Wednesday. Creato is charged with first-degree murder and second-degree endangering the welfare of a child in the death of his 3-year-old son, Brendan. In addition to the video, a lead detective with the Camden County Prosecutor’s Office testified Wednesday morning.
The video showed a Haddon Township Police officer assuring David Creato his son will be found, the Philly Voice reports. The officer then accuses Creato of holding back information, which Creato then denies. The questioning continued like this, with the officer still not telling Creato his son had been found, until Det. Michael Rhodes entered the room and told him Brendan had been found deceased.
Rhodes testified on Wednesday. During that testimony, he said that a forensics analysis of Creato's cell phone turned up a photo of David Creato at the spot where Brendan Creato's body was found about 36 hours earlier, according to CBS 3.
Find out what's happening in Haddonfield-Haddon Townshipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
“So much time has passed,” an upset Creato was seen saying before he was told of his son’s fate, according to the Courier Post. Once Rhodes told him what happened, he is seen saying “No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!” and “I love him so much!”
The video was also shown at a previous status conference. Assistant Prosecutor Christine Shah has argued that Creato actually knew his son was dead before police told him. Creato’s attorney Richard J. Fuschino had opposed playing the video during the trial, arguing that investigators never told his client he was a suspect in the investigation, and that he wasn’t mirandized properly.
Find out what's happening in Haddonfield-Haddon Townshipfor free with the latest updates from Patch.
Judge John T. Kelley ruled that it was clear Creato was aware of his rights during the interview. Just before the trial began, Kelley approved Shah’s motion to have the statements submitted as evidence.
In the video, Creato admits he was jealous of a boy his college aged girlfriend had been hanging out with at school. He said it was possible that Brendan would've left the apartment on his own because he was "adventurous," but leaving the apartment would also be "out of character."
The prosecution believes Creato killed his son because his girlfriend hates children and was jealous of the relationship he had with Brendan.
The girl, Julia Stensky, is not a suspect because there is proof she was at college at Pace University in New York the night Brendan disappeared, according to nj.com. Creato said in the video that she had given him an ultimatum, to choose between her and Brendan. David Creato said he always told her Brendan would always be in his life.
The trial will continue Thursday morning.
Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.