Community Corner

Recalled Laforet Said He Is Not Done With Politics

The now-ex-mayor said he is, 'proud of his accomplishments' in his seven years in local office.

MAHWAH, NJ — Tuesday night was not the end of William Laforet's political career.

The now ex-mayor would not comment about future political aspirations, but he did say that he was "proud of his accomplishments" during his seven years as the town's highest elected official.

"I've given seven years of my life to this community as mayor and the body of work we have produced," Laforet said. "It creates a long-lasting foundation of economic growth for our community."

Find out what's happening in Mahwahfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

Laforet did not give specifics of his accomplishments in office. He wishes John Roth, the man who defeated him Tuesday night, well. He hopes Roth, "becomes a good steward of the things that are already in place." Roth is now mayor.

A committee of residents canvassed the township and collected more than 4,000 signatures to get the recall question on the November ballot. It was the second recall campaign launched against Laforet, but the first one was shut down because not enough signatures could be collected by the deadline.

Find out what's happening in Mahwahfor free with the latest updates from Patch.

"We are thrilled with the results and look forward to immediately beginning to heal this town with new leadership," said Melanie Sue, a spokesperson for the Committee to Recall Laforet. "The new mayor and council will work together. That's something we haven't seen in a while. A small group of amazing citizens fought for this town and our hard work paid off. Today is a good day for Mahwah."

Laforet and the Council often criticized one another. Laforet stopped going to council meetings months ago.

Laforet and the Town Council locked horns regarding a controversial ordinance banning non-New Jersey residents from using township parks. Laforet came under fire for criticizing the Town Council over the ordinance and its alleged discrimination against Orthodox Jews.

Laforet previously said the Town Council had "gone off the rails" and that a "deep divide" exists between himself and the group.

The Town Council cast a vote of no confidence in Laforet in September — the second such vote cast against him in three years.

That Council will look slightly different than the one that exists now. Three of the four incumbents who ran for office, Jonathan Wong, George Ervin, and Janet Ariemma, were re-elected to the governing body. Robert Hermansen was not. (See related: 3 Incumbents, Challenger Win Mahwah Council Election)


Email: daniel.hubbard@patch.com

Photo: Patch file image of Bill Lafret during a candidates night in October. (By Daniel Hubbard)

Get more local news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for free Patch newsletters and alerts.